LICE!!!

Ok, my 2 y/o has lice, I don't know how she got it. My school-aged children don't have it, I have checked, my husband checked and both my sisters checked, they don't have it. My boys are getting their heads shaved, my husband shaved his head last night. I know people have said that tea tree oil is a lice repellent, how much do I use and does it go in the shampoo or conditioner? Every one is being treated and everything is being washed, just so you know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• wow that is weird that she has it and no one else does. i've never heard of tea tree oil. just your basic over the counter medicine for lice. since she is 2 years old maybe ask the pharmicist or your doctor. and make sure you clean everything in hot water. even though your sons and husband and you don't have it it can attach to your bedding and couches. that is the suckiest part of having lice.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think it's a waste of money, best repellent is your hands and fingers. Make sure you get them suckers out, but you can use oil such as baby oil to make them easier to pick off
    Anonymous

• If you buy shampoo OTC make sure to get the pesticide free version since she is so little. I agree with anon poster above use your hands. I bought shampoo at the store that had peppermint, and tea tree oil in it for my sons since it was going around their class, and they got it (so frustrating). The brand of the shampoo is organix, and it's a green bottle. Anyway lice hate oily hair, and for home remidies you can use mayonaise, or baby oil then pick, pick, pick... Wash everything you can in hot water, put stuffed animals in a garage/basement in trash bag for 2 weeks, vaccuum your carpets with baking soda... You need to just get the live ones out, then keep checking for nits/new lice for the next couple weeks. When my sons got it, it was such a pain in the butt. Oh yeah don't forget to vaccuum out the car, and clean the carseat.
    Schleetle

Answer by Schleetle at 2:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Use a "Nit Comb", and the teatree gets applied directly. You only need a small bit, it doesn't repel, it kills. It also releases the nits from the hair shaft. Most importantly is to come them all out.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Make sure you get ALL the nits out. Even if one is left you'll be dealing with it ALL over again. For my little one (she's 4) I used Lice MD and it works great. It's pesticide free.
    PurplePieguy

Answer by PurplePieguy at 2:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If you google, there are a lot of natural remedies that you can use that will be gentle on her little head.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:11 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I would use something natural on a 2 year old, jmo.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 2:11 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• There is shampoo that has tea tree oil in it. I got some when dd got lice last summer. It smells nice too.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:24 PM on Mar. 17, 2011

• I don't know about tea tree oil, but if you use an OTC product, be sure it's pesticide free and follow directions EXACTLY. They can be dangerous.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:50 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Wow good luck. Be careful what you use.
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 3:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2011