Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They sent me a check for 9.47!!!! WTF!!!!!

Okay so i'm pinching pennies as i'm a single mother of two. If you remember a previous post I put up, it was I was employed and the first day I go into the job, is the same day I got fired because I had to go to a meeting and they found that unacceptable. Anywho.....I just received the check in the mail, it states hours = 6.50, Rate = 7.2500 (they told me i would be getting 9/hr) taxes and deduction FICA = 2.66 (whatever that is) MISC = 35.00 ???????

I'm so lost, I was told I would at least get a check of 20$ =[


Asked by knicole0708 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 23 (17,012 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • Legally, they cannot make a "misc deduction" from your check without your permission.

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • FICA is a federal tax that everyone pays. You need to call and ask them what MISC is. And save the stub for the labor board if they've charged you for something they shouldn't have.

    Answer by gdiamante at 2:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • i know it's only a 2$ difference, but i was told and even signed a paper i woud be getting 9/hr ... on here it states 7.25/hr

    Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • Take your signed paper and pay stub to H.R. or accounting...They need to explain the difference there and the MISC charge...FICA you are required to pay and will increase as your pay does --- Just so you know it won't stay the same should they pay you the two$ extra.

    Answer by bumblebeestingu at 2:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • FICA = Social Security. You definitely should have them clarify what MISC is, but usually you will get federal taxes, social security, medicare, state taxes, unemployment tax and state disability deducted. As far as them paying you $7.25/hr instead of $9/hr, do you have the offer of $9/hr in writing?

    Answer by Anouck at 2:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • I don't have anything in writing HERE with me because they wouldn't allow me to take even the freakin' time sheet out of there office, damn idiots. They have all paperwork, and it's there own company so i can't take it anywhere but to them and he was so rude and nasty to me teling me to ''get my shit and get out'' i dont even want to step foot in his little ass office loll

    Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • Do you have a copy of that paper that says $9/hr? If not, then you're a bit stuck.

    Answer by gdiamante at 2:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • File a claim with your state's department of labor

    Answer by rkoloms at 3:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • FICA is social security and medicare together. and that $35 misc you need to find out what that is.

    Answer by lucky35 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • My husband gets misc taken out of his check if the company provided something for him and are deducting payments for it.


    Answer by how_reb at 4:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN