2 year old with diarrhea for a long time and losing weight...suggestions?

Took my son to get tested for food allergies and everything came back negative. What else could be causing the diarrhea and upset stomach?? He has gotten to were he won't eat a lot and losing some weight because of it. This is not good for a 2 year old! Ugh. I am so upset and they have no idea what it could be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to have him tested for parasites.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My son has bouts of diarrhea now and then. It lasts for a couple weeks at a time and other than the diarrhea, he has no other symptoms of not feeling well. His doctor told us to try giving him a probiotic yogurt, such as Activa. She said we could also try giving him acidophilus capsules. The yogurt works so well, we haven't tried the acidophilus. My son is 23 months, by the way, and we've been doing this since he was a year old. Hope this helps.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• How long has it lasted? Went through the rotavirus thing with my song and myself, we were like that for 2 weeks.I myself lost almost 10lbs. Its a horrible thing. But if its lasted longer then 2 weeks i would sure get him tested. That is not good.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It has been going on for a year or so now. As long as we can remember. We are just now really paying attention because of the weight loss. Also, paying more attention now because before, it didn't bother him...he would eat like a pig and eat whatever you gave to him. Now he is getting so picky and won't eat a whole lot if anything at all sometimes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2011