I feel like such a worthless POS :(

I'm 23, married, 2 kids, graduated high school, I have a couple of certificates, and absolutely zero job prospects. I really would like to just stay home with my kids, but we need me to be working. All I can do is babysit or housekeeping. No one wants the other services I provide (birth services, childbirth education). I guess in this economy women are having their babies on Medicaid and don't have the money to shell out for something like that. And even the babysitting and housekeeping is falling through. I'd go to work outside the home, but all I can earn is minimum wage, and that will be eaten up in childcare, it's kind of pointless.

Going back to college would be nice, but can't afford to not work.

I feel like I'm a bad example for my kids, and like I'm pretty much bottom of the barrel.

Any advice on what to do here? I feel so lost and sad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

• I did daycare for many years. Take pride in raising our future rulers. :-) I know how you feel. I think it's time to do something special for yourself. Maybe a massage, a weekend retreat, a new hairstyle or trip to salon. We all need good things to look forward to. With that being said. Start being aware of your thinking. Pay attention to the committees in your head which you are feeding. Gratitude usually silences the negativity that we sometimes allow to control us. Change your thinking, change your life. It could always be worse. Count your blessings. Life will keep changing and it's never the destination but the journey that matters.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 3:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Don't beat yourself up. There are other ways you can be a good example to your children.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• cheer up, you will find your way:)
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I feel the same way, been looking for a job am currently in college and work, but I need more money, I have certificates but their is just nobody calling me back, it suck I feel for ya
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Aww mama, try not to get so down on yourself about stuff like that. There's so many people who are in a similar situation. Times are rough right now all around. *hugs* Just keep plugging away and sooner or later something will come along.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I too am a stay at home mom with two kids and my husband is striving to make ends meat. Society is now built up to where both parents need to work. I feel my place in this world is to stay at home with my kids. It isn't you that is worthless it is society for keeping us down. Trust in God like I do and you will make it through theese hard times. Praying for you to make it. Plz pray for me too.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 3:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• At least you have some skills. I have NO skills and limited availability. Highschoolers with open schedules would get hired before me.
    Maybe your problem is that you aren't marketing yourself enough.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 3:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Don't beat yourself up mama - there are people with masters and Ph.D's who can't find jobs. This is a crappy job market - my best friend just spent months looking for a job and she's been a VERY skilled paralegal of over 25 years - still found people trying to hire her for next to nothing. It's epidemic - so don't beat yourself up. Try to think of a way to creatively market your skill-set in a non traditional way. I have a friend and her company hired a lady who set up a little table in the atrium of an office building and handed out her resume to anyone who would take it - a friend passed it to a friend and CONNECTION. Not saying that is the be all end all but I guess giving encouragement for thinking outside of the norm. This isn't a job market most of us have experienced before. Cheer up and don't give up!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Nicoles2lilRams, if I had the money I'd market more. Even a classified ad in the paper here cost $80! I don't have that, and flyering has gotten me nowhere.

Thank you so much for the prayers Kimkh. I'll pray for you too.

I really thought I was following my heart and making the best decisions for me when I got married at 18, pregnant at 19, and tried to break in to birth services. I really love that work, but it's gotten me nowhere. I just want to cry.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• There are all sorts of ways to get school paid for and live cheeper. People give school and other things away already you just need to get the right resources. Look into things a bit harder. (go to mamacheeps.com)
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 3:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2011