Poor guy did a nose dive into the floor

When do you take them in to get checked out? He is acting normal, no real bruise or anything I think it just shocked the daylights outta him for a lil?

Amanda11810

Asked by Amanda11810 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son just had his first ER visit last week. He was running through the living room, tripped and hit his nose on the base of ottoman (cloth yet not padded like the top), we took him because he had a huge goose egg and we were worried about a concussion or broken nose. Thank goodness he had neither one and it looked way worse than it actually was with the swelling at the time.

I wouldn't worry about getting him checked out until he is bleeding, glossy-eyed, his equilibrium seems off, etc. There's no need to get little ones worked up over a bump or bruise, sometimes the doctor's visit can be more terrifying to them than the actual fall lol
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Every time my son has ever hit his head (which is ALOT, he got his mommas grace! lol) I always check for a concussion. If he doesn't have one and there is no massive bleeding (won't stop after about 20 minutes) then I would take him in....boys will be boys and most of them get hurt alot over the course of growing up!
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• if he is acting normal, you are probably fine. watch for uneven pupil sizes (one larger than the other) if you are worried about a con cussion. if there is vomiting or lethargy, you may want to seek medical help. i know my kids would never even keep an icepack on for more than 1 second, but ice can help!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Did he hit his head,nose,mouth? What part?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• his head not dead on
    Amanda11810

Comment by Amanda11810 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• awww poor guy. My 2yr old was running in the driveway, which is a stone, and fell flat on his face. When i finall cleared away the blood i noticed he chipped his front tooth. He was acting fine after he settled down. I checked his eyes for dialation to make sure he did not have a concusion and so i made a doctor appt the next morning since it was in the evening when it happend. He ended up being fine, except for the fact he had to have the chipped tooth removed since the nerve was exposed....ouch! I would have taken him to the ER, but he was not complaining.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If he's acting normal and doesn't have the signs of a concussion than I wouldn't worry about it, though if you can't shake off the worry there's no harm in taking him to his doctor to get checked. My 5 year old daughter hits her face and head often and she's never been seriously injured, most of the time she doesn't even cry. Last week she went face first into the floor - she got off the bed at the same time the dog jumped down and he knocked into her, her nose was bruised pretty good and she had a small cut (which she keeps picking at) but she was fine after 30 seconds. She walks into walls and doors at least a couple times a month, she simply doesn't pay attention when she's walking. Last summer she managed to do a back flip off her powerwheels ATV and landed on a rock - there was blood everywhere, when I found where the blood was coming from there was a tiny cut on the back of her head.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011