Would you try this recipe????? beginner cook needs help lol

My first time making dinner on St. Patty's Day and I really want to knock it out of the park lol....I found this on allrecipes.com but it only had 4 reviews (all great)....tell me if you would try this or would you go with something a little more traditional....

Apple and Brown Sugar Corned Beef & Cabbage
4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
corned beef brisket with spice packet
20 small red potatoes, scrubbed
4 carrots cut into chunks
2 onions, cut into wedges
1 head of cabbage, cored and cut into large chunks

1. Pour the apple juice into a large slow cooker, and mix in the brown sugar and mustard, stirring until the brown sugar has dissolved. Mix in the contents of the spice packet and lay the brisket into the apple juice mixture. Top with onions, carrots, potatoes and cabbage chunks. Push all ingrediants into the liquid.

2. Cover and cook on high until the corned beef is very tender (4 to 5 hours) or cook on low (8-10 hours) slice across grain and serve with vegetables.

If this sounds like something I should try, should I make any changes? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks Mamas!!!!!!

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Sounds pretty good and easy enough - even us "seasoned" chefs (ha ha pun intended) still cook stinkers! I made the Mac N Cheese on the cover of Bon Appetite this month - it was a little pricey to make and just didn't live up to my hopes, PLUS no one ate it as their midnight snack. That is how I know my family likes something - do the leftovers sit or so they get gobbled up during the night. Good luck!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Sounds great, What time should we be there. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 3:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• sounds good to me. i love corned beef and cabbage. ill have to write that one down and try it out myself. normally i just put the beef with packet into a pot of water and boil it for a couple hours then pull it out and quickly blanch the cabbage in the water and serve. but that sounds wonderful. whens dinner? you could add 4 more people to your dinner table :)
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Personally, no. But I don't like corned beef and cabbage.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 3:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• yeah, it doesn't look too hard. I am not the best cook either. Good luck!
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I myself am a beginner and would like some recipes to make. but i don't like Corned Beef & Cabbage but i think I would try your recipe.
    ask-krysta

Answer by ask-krysta at 3:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It's definately different but I would try it. If it doesn't work out right at least you know and you can always modify the recipe :)
    Kathy_USMC

Answer by Kathy_USMC at 3:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i agree with....LeJane.....:)
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I found a better one at foodnetwork.com, its Alton Brown's recipe. Not a fan of allrecipes.com myself.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• No, I don't eat meat.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, simple, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011