What age do you start teaching kids how to wipe for #2? When is a kid wayyyyy to old to still be wiped by mommy?

My son is 5 and he now does it himself with some guidance from me....I dont want him to forget to wash his hands, ect. so I just pay attention when I know he is doing it....he begs me to wipe him...I have to tell him over and over that he is a big boy now....and he will eventually do it.....

Just wondered?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 10:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in General Parenting

• He should be doing it by himself, now, IMO. Is he in school? I'd let him know he has to do it himself because you can't always be there. I'm sure he doesn't want his teacher wiping his butt! He WILL do it without complaining eventually. Maybe if you let him do it on his own and just ask if he washed his hands when he was done, that would give him the push to be more independent in the #2 department.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I stopped doing it with my kids just before they were 4, we have a picture checklist in my bathroom and every time they follow the checklist they put a little mark on the chart with the
    attached pen. They find it relaly fun and get gold stars at the end of each week. We have: wipe, check, flush, wash hands properly in little illustrations. Good Luck with this.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 10:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• 3 is ...iffy and 4 is a deff no no...5 i wouldnt even consider it,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:56 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I'd say around 4ish, depending on the child. But no later than that unless the child has some mental or physical issues that prevent him/her from doing it on their own.

I suggest the Kandoo kids wipes. they make it easier to wipe up a number 2... making it easier for the kid to do it them self!
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 11:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It depends on the child. Most will show an emerging independence and start to want to do things for themselves. At that time, I would allow the child to do for himself, then check to see if everything was properly taken care of. I would praise the effort and say he did well, but missed a spot or something. Some children don't care about being super clean. Others are almost paranoid about it. Some feel capable of taking on any task. Others are afraid of failing at anything. You must study your child and know what makes him tick and then teach from that standpoint. There are not too many hard and fast rules in childrearing.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:17 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I babysat a 7yr old and his mom insisted that I wipe his bottom after he went poopy. I thought this was WAY to old to be wiping someone's bottom, so I gave him baby wipes and told him he needed to learn to do it on his own. She said she didn't want him to have a sore bottom, so she still did it for him until he could learn to do it properly. I still wipe my girls' bottoms, they're only 2 yrs. old, but they even try to do it by themself and then I check and get anything they missed. I would think if they're in school, then they should be wiping themselves...the teacher isn't going to follow them and wipe them, so they need to be doing it on there own at home, too.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 11:45 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My two y/o started doing it on her own a few weeks ago. I think at three I stopped wiping them because they were getting ready for PreK and I couldn't it if they went "#2" at school.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:47 PM on Nov. 24, 2008