Does anyone know how long a dog is in heat? My female dog is driving my male dog nuts and he's destroying the house!

I have two dogs, my female dog is an old dog - I have no idea how old (I got her from my ex-husband who got her from a friend who got her from a shelter) but by looking at her you can tell she's up there in years so I assumed she was too old to be in heat (granted she is the only female dog I've ever owned). Four months ago I got another dog from my ex-husband because once again he got evicted from his place and couldn't bring a dog to the place he is living now - this new dog is only 9 months old so he was a handful already but he was making progress with being trained, for the last 4 days however he is following my female dog around, humping everything, chewing up my kids toys, chewing pillows, and destroyed three blankets (basically he is chewing up everything my female dog sleeps on). He's also being a total spaz - barking and whining when my female dog hides under the beds (she is a chihuahua/terrier mix and he is a german shepard/pitbull mix). Even when he eventually calms down my female dog will come out of hiding just to taunt him - sticking her butt in his face and then turning around and barking/growling at him when he tries to follow her again.

momof2inCT2007

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Pets

• I think dogs r in heat about a week.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:20 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Why not avoid this and fix the damn animals?
    Anonymous

• Dogs are in heat for 3 to 4 weeks. I have to agree with Anon. Your excuse is a cop out. Big whoop I'm a single mom in collage. That won't stop me from getting a pet fixed. There are low cost clinics some of which that will do it for free.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• @anon I'm a single mother of two kids - I don't have the time nor money to run out and get them fixed right this minute. If you don't have an actual answer and want to be a rude bitch about it than why bother posting?
    momof2inCT2007

Comment by momof2inCT2007 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Getting them fixed has nothing to do with my question, therefore irrelevant. Obviously I've thought about getting them fixed - and how do you figure it's a cop out? Do you know me? Do you know anything about me? Do you know anything about my financial and living situation? Do you know where I live? I can tell you right now there are no low cost clinics where I live, there is one "traveling clinic" but it only takes small dogs and cats and does not come to my area and its only around for a few days a year. There are two animal hospitals in the area - neither of them offer sliding scale or discount prices on any services. So once again telling me to get them fixed is irrelevant to my question, I did not ask what I should do or if I should get them fixed. Asking why I don't get my "damn dogs" fixed is rude and unnecessary.

momof2inCT2007

Comment by momof2inCT2007 (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Oh I'm sorry she wrote "damn animals" not "damn dogs".
    momof2inCT2007

Comment by momof2inCT2007 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• WOW- some of these Questions really Trip Me Out! OP- are you kidding me? you are going to call someone a Bitch for giving you the Best Advice on how to handle the situation- the answer to your question is about 3 to 4 weeks that a Female is in Heat- that is a pretty long time for your Dogs to drive each other Crazy & to Destroy your house- & when your Female is caught off guard; your Male is going to get ahold of her- it is Not going to be Good b/c a German Shepard/ Pit bull Mix is going to really Hurt your Chihuahua/ Terrier Mix- Get them Fixed at the Low- Cost Clinic- that is the Only way to Avoid this Problem! and the Only Responsible thing to do.......

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 4:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• No I don't that is why I suggested a low cost clinic and even stated that some of them will do it for FREE. I think the excuse of "I'm a single mom" is a poor excuse and a cop out. I don't know where you live but I know that there are low cost clinics all over the place these days. Hell there are 6 in my home town now.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I never said I wasn't going to get them fixed, what I said is I can not go out this minute and get it done. And referring to my pets as "damn animals" and the wording she used is why I said she was being a rude bitch - now saying "how about getting them fixed?" is not being rude or a bitch, it would still be irrelevent to my question but I would have explained the reason why getting them fixed right now isn't an option. I did not ask for advice, I did not ask for a solution to this problem. Between my responsiblities as a mother and student right now it's easier to make sure the toys are put away and the cover is on the toy box, and keeping him out of the bedrooms is easier and smarter than taking money and time away from more important things. Once my tuiton and current bills are paid (hopefully within the month) and my schedule becomes more regular I will have money and time to take them to get fixed.
    momof2inCT2007

Comment by momof2inCT2007 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• @kyliesmom5 - thats great for you, that there are so many options for any pets you may have but as I stated there are no low cost clinics and especially none that will fix a pet for free anywhere in my area, if there were any I'd call up my mom right now and ask her to watch my kids while I drop off my dogs.
    momof2inCT2007

Comment by momof2inCT2007 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2011