Not soo gentlemen

I'm a stay at home mom and lately I have had certain repairs done on my house. It's mainly men I have been dealing with. All of them explain what they are doing so I can explain it to my husband when he gets home. The problem is I feel like they explain it to me as if I am uncapable of understanding them. I thought it was just the way they treat customers assuming they don't know whats going on, but I notice they don't speek that way toward my husband. Is this happening to other women out there?

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 3:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Yeah, it's an age old problem. I like to ask an intelligent question or state something showing I know something about it and then their attitude usually changes quickly.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes, and my favorite thing is that I actually know a little something about cars and maintenace, I used to work in full demo construction and when I am feeling particularly feisty, I let them talk to me as if I am stupid with a know nothing look on my face and then spout off with, just for clarification and then drop my knowledge on them and watch them fidget and feel dumber than they were trying to make me feel.
    dakotafriend

Answer by dakotafriend at 3:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• When I got my car oil changed the mechanic told me because there was a leak in my oil pan I wouldn't be able to drive off the lost unless I paid $800 for it to get fixed.... little did he know my boyfriend at the time worked at a car parts store. So I called him and sure enough he could suddenly "fix it".... Jerk!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• LOL @ dakotafriend
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes, I usually wait for my golden opportunity to hand them their ass. Especially when it comes to cars. Cars are my passion so I know quite a bit.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I actually don't mind it.

It's normal in my area and I'm used to it. When it comes to "boy" stuff I just let Hubby do it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My dad and I tested this theory of "double standard" years back. I called a local auto parts store and asked for the price of a certain car part...say a starter...and they gave me a price. My dad called and asked for the same part and it was cheaper! Because he was a man over the phone....CRAP I say!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Yes, but my husband is great and lets me know exactly what they need to do BEFORE they get here. That way if they start pulling crap out of their butts I can simply let them know what I want done and what I expect to pay. If they can't provide that service at a reasonable fee I let them know I will simply use another service and miracle of miracles then they can do what needs to be done at a reasonable price.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2011