How do I get ants out of my house?

I have never had an ant problem before. I have no idea how to make them go away. They are all over my house! We went to the front office and they said the exterminator is coming next week but still I am worried about my kids getting bit. They said the people that live next door to us are probably causing it because they have like 7 animals in their house even though they are not supposed to because the lady brings animals home with her from the vet office she works at. They said if they get one more complaint they are kicking the family out. Until then I need to figure out how to get the ants out of my house thats safe for 4 kids and a pregnant women.

mrssmitley1210

Asked by mrssmitley1210 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Terro ant bait. This is a tray of ant poison that you can buy at Home Depot or probably Wal Mart. You put the tray where the ants are coming in; the ants carry the gel-like liquid back to the queen. It will take a couple of days, but the ants will go away. As long as the kids leave the trays alone, this is safe to have around them. There aren't any fumes or anything like that. I just wouldn't want them to play with the trays, kwim?
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Well caulking where they are coming from inside and out. Now you can use just regular soapy water in a spray bottle (window cleaner, 409, ect) to kill the ones inside already. If you have anthills outside you can boil water in a big pot add dish liquid after it boils and pour the whole pot onto the anthill.  I've been dealing with ant usually aound the kitchen sink window.  Hope this helps.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I have an electronic fly zapper that works on ants. It runs on batteries. It zaps them dead!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Good freakin luck! We live in a rental house and I've tried EVERYTHING except paying for an exterminator. We live on a lake and in Fl the simple fact is you are going to live with ants. We've alerted the owner many times so he can check to make sure there isn't moisture somewhere but he seems uninterested. I've trapped, I've put borax down, we've drilled and put borax into walls, I've treated outside, inside. I've tried terro and various other stuff. I leave nothing on the counter and still they come. They come in the bathroom where are aren't even any crumbs to find. It's maddening so I understand your frustration. We aren't swarmed or anything and the traps do obviously work because I vacumn their little carcasses around from my baseboards once a week but they are still around and about. Honestly I think it has nothing to do with animals, you just may be in an active area like me. GOOD LUCK
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• We usually find the point of entry from the outside and spray that with ortho home defense. We also put the ant hotels in the middle of their outside stream.

On the inside, I clean very well, and clean everything with a vinegar/water solution (to erase the smell of the trail. I stuff whole bay leaves in the crevice the entered through. You'll have to do this for a few days.

This way, the kids aren't around anything poisonous, but the outside stuff is obliterating them.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Hire a professional. We have a company that comes in once every three months ($35) and sprays for everything. We have had good luck and don't really have a problem with any kind of pest or rodent.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2011