Help - how to get 10 month old to stop breastfeeding during the night?

So it is winter and we have a pellet stove - so not much heat gets to our bedroom. So I have my 10 month old sleeping with us. She gets up so much during the night and wants to breastfeed - or should I say just be on me - not even really eating. Any ideas how to get out of this situation??

JJ44

Asked by JJ44 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pacifier.... or you can try giving her a hearty meal before bedtime such as barley cereal for babies... Good luck!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 4:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• neirther worked for me. i have still not found a way and my youngest is 16 mo
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 4:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• She is at the age that you can give her a nice dinner of baby rice/oatmeal with your milk. She is at the age that if you feed her this dinner or right before her night sleep she will remain full enough to sleep through the night. If she still wakes up then she is doing it because she is unable to put herself back to sleep on her own (not because she is hungry) and she likes to have mom's closeness. If you do not want to let her cry it out (my doctor gave me that suggestion for my son who would not give up the late night feeding.) then you can gradually go longer each time before you feed her, either by giving her a pacifier until your ready to feed her or try patting her but not picking her up. Our ceiling light show helped, and his turtle music soother worked to help put my son back to sleep on his own.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Have you tried other things before nursing? Keep in mind that sometimes, at that age, babies wake up and are legitimately hungry or thirsty, so you might end up having to nurse, but you can absolutely try other things first. Rock her, sing to her, cuddle her, diaper change if it seems needed, you can even try some water in a cup if you suspect she is thirsty, but I wouldn't offer more then an ounce or two. If you try all of those things, and anything else you might be able to think of to comfort her, and they don't help, I would nurse, since you know that works, but keep trying different things at night. Personally, for me, it was MUCH easier to just nurse back to sleep, but I understand that it might not work for everyone else.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• my son does that i give him a binky and my shirt that smells like me and he goes right back 2 bed :)
    Sage11

Answer by Sage11 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yea, my 8mnth old is the same.....I have tried rocking, singing, changing the diaper and he just cries until I let him latch on (He doesnt stay on long--just about 3-5mins to fall asleep again). He wont take a binky-I have tried several kinds--He just gets upset when he realizes that there is nothing coming from the binky. He doesnt take a bottle--Just a water cup.

So you are not alone :) Just think when you wake up that there are a few thousand other mommy's awake with you dealing with the same issue....If you find something that works---Please let me know! lol....Good luck <3
    RiaChristine

Answer by RiaChristine at 1:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thank you everyone - great answers! I have tried the pacifier and patting the back. I think I just have to be more patient - I just don't want her to wake my hubby so I put her on my breast and she falls right back asleep. I just don't want this to be the only way she knows how to go back to sleep. I do feed her right before bed so she has a full tummy. Thanks to everyone again!
    JJ44

Comment by JJ44 (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• She will learn to go to sleep on her own... it's developmental and not something you can really rush. Hang in there... this will pass whether you do something or not (and often passes faster when you choose the "not" option).

Answer by gdiamante at 12:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2011