Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

What do I do with extra furniture in my home?

i do not want to give it to any company that will resell it to poor families. What are some places or company to give to the needy?

Answer Question

Asked by dubewife at 4:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 17 (4,588 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • I donate to a local shelter for battered women - I think monthly they pre-select a different drop-off location and items are given to women to restart their lives. Just google "charities to help women" "single moms" etc. that type of thing. I ONLY donate to charities that help battered, single moms that type of thing. They can be tricky to find due to the nature of the charity but ARE out there.

    Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • Call Catholic Charities or a homeless shelter. They often need new /used furniture or know of someone who does.

    Answer by adnilm at 4:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • Give it away, sell it...donate...

    Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 4:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • Call your local fire department...they may know of someone in need of replacement items.

    Answer by dullscissors at 4:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • Sometimes I donate to Karms. They benefit disabled US veterans and homeless, I think. Craigslist is another great way to give away uneeded items.

    Answer by dollhead78 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • Call your school administration office we are always sending out emails for families that need something from just leaving a spouse to a fire or whatever.

    Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • In our area Habitat for Humanity runs a thrift store. While poor people 'might' be the ones buying it, at least 100% of the proceeds will go towards building new homes for the poor. But I also wanted to add that I know lots of people who shop there, myself included, that aren't poor just frugal.

    Answer by slw123 at 8:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

  • Ditto to all the postings above ~ esp. the women's shelters.

    Answer by tasches at 8:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

  • try Salvation Army or call the homeless colition in your town to find some place to take to or find a homeless person who is living in a shelter and getting ready to get their own place and needs furniture.

    Answer by stitchintime at 10:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.