At what age do you think cell phones are appropriate?

My rule is no cell phone until you get a learner's permit because until you can drive you can't go anywhere without me anyway.

DrRama

Asked by DrRama at 4:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• all of my neices and nephews got one at 11 for texti ng only and it comes from ther allowance
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 4:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i say 13, but get them a prepaid plan or make sure they have unlimited everything, we learned the hard way. they do go to friends houses and activities so its nice when my son will text me and let me know what is going on or when he will be home, he is 16 now, but he had his first one at 13
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Before everyone on earth had a cell (lol) my rule was until they were 16 & could help pay for it. Now though everyone uses text messaging for everything. My kids also play alot of sports, or do after school things so we will be getting my 11 yr old his own cell. My 6 yr old couldnt use one and its useless right now for her, but I am guessing by 11 she will have one too. I have to drive from here to there and they have come in real handy when field trips, tournaments etc are running late.

Answer by gemgem at 4:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Tell they can pay for the cell phone bill themselves.

Answer by louise2 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Mine needed it (I wanted them to have it) when they were 6/7th grade... that is when I started to allow them to be places with other kids and no adult, and when they started club sports.

So when you say they dont go any where with out you.... do you stay with them every where they are? And why are they allowed out by themselves with a learners permit? Here in CA a learners permit allows you to drive ONLY when you have an adult in the car.  Im not saying your rule of 15.5 is wrong... your rule is your rule... it is simply the logic Im not understanding.

Anonymous

• I am with louise...when they can pay for it themselves, then they can get one.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I say no cell phone until you're at least 13 or 14. My 7 year old asked for one, and I bought her one too......a play one.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• 16/17 and driving alone.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Your rule is pretty good.
    Ours is high school.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• My son got one in 7th grade.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2011