Teen Pregnancy?

I myself am 18 years old and 17 weeks pregnant. I have graduated from high school and am in college. My fiance is a very hard working man who has no problem with meeting our needs.
I see all these girls at my Alma Mater that are 15 and 16 years old walking around with bigger bumps than me. This really concerns me, because I know taht at a younger age like this the fathers are not going to want to take responsibility for their mistakes. Also, I feel that the younger the mother the less that her parents are going to support her.
What are some of your opinions on this topic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I agree with you, you seem very mature for being as young as you are. I think kids are having sex way to early and its really scary.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• The younger the mother the less her parents are going to support her? Sorry but I dont see that being the case at all. My dd was a teen mom, so was one of her friends and both sets of parents (grandparents) supported the girls in every way we could, and we still do. They are not in the minority either. As for the boys again, broad generalization. I had my dd a month after I turned 17 and her dad was the same age. I can say alot of horrible things about him, but one thing I cannot say is that he did not support the kids while we were married. He worked harder and ended up earning more by the time we were 25 then most middle aged men.

Answer by gemgem at 4:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Personally, I'd love it if everybody waited till their 30's to have kids, heh. I think being able to have your fun, finish your schooling, and getting settled in a career are important. I don't know why any teenager would take the risk of getting pregnant, to be honest. Being a mother is hard work, at any time. But it's so much harder when you're basically just a child yourself...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• the chances of the father sticking around are slim. i got pregnant at 19 and the father left us. i did have a great support system at home though, and i dont think the parents are guaranteed to be less supportive at a younger age. i think that just depends on the family situation itself. some might be some might not be. a close friend of mine who is 21 now had her first at 16 and the father left them. she's a very smart, mature girl though who sometimes gives better parenting advice than ive heard more experienced moms give. the saddest thing about teen pregnancy is the girls are still just children themselves, and go from child to motherhood in the blink of an eye. motherhood is hard work at any age but to have to do it on top of being a teenager.. well i do not envy them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• TBH, I think age is only part of the issue. More importantly is maturity level, ability to take care of yourself, being responsible for your actions. I've had 2 people in my family who got pregnant before they were married and they were both in their 20's. They were certainly "old enough" to have kids, but up to that point in their life they hadn't been making very good choices. One of them is think is doing quite well, but the other is still quite relient on her mom. I hope she can pick herself and make the tough choices for her baby.
    littleflower101

Answer by littleflower101 at 4:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I agree in some ways. Surprising every once in awhile you will find a man/boy that will step up and take responsibility even if the relationship with the mother survives. Now I know it doesn't happen all too often. But I had my first child when I was 19 and years later my then boyfriend and I got married. We have been together for 8 1/2 years and have been married almost 2 and we have a 3 year old and a 3 month old. The teen pregnancy rates do scare me though especially since we have two girls. We have a ways to go til we are there but it still scares the crap out of me with the thought. I think that teen pregnancy forces the mother to grow up and be more mature and what not before really needing to be if that hadn't gotten pregnant. It's kind of a sad thing that the rest of their childhood and the times when they are supposed to be able to go out ad have fun and go to college are not possible anymore or more difficult.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 4:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I agree that the likelihood of a younger man deciding to stick around and support his responsibility is slim. From a medical standpoint getting pregnant at a younger age can increase risks for complications. But honestly I feel that might be just a way for them to deter teen pregnancy rather than an actual truth. Any woman at any age can have complications during her pregnancy. I think that the biggest question here would be can anyone who is pregnant support their child financially and emotionally. If the answer is yes than I don't care what the age is.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 4:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• There is one more very important thing,If they r having babies too young,the babies can have alot of problems from breathing,to birth defects as well as heart problems.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I wasnt meaning that all fathers leave their children if they are teens, but where Im from it happens more than them staying around. I am very thankful to have a fiance who is just as, or maybe even more, ready to face the battles we will have to in the near future. Also, I have missed out on many things because of my pregnancy, but when I think about it, I dont want to be out here partying and smoking and actin out like most teens here. I would much rather have something to look forward to in life and that is the blessing that I have ben given. I have utmost respect for women who were once teen moms. I havent even made it my 3rd trimester yet, Im not even showing, and still people judge me as if Im the most horrible person ever. I told 2 people other than my family that Im expecting and still the whole county knows and it seems as if everyone has their own opinion, most of which are not pleasant.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I have yet to hear that my age could be a cause for possible birth defects. Both of my OBGYNs have said that between the age of 18 and 25 is the best time for you to have a child because, for most women, this is the time period where your in the best shape and the most physically active. Im not sayin everyone at this age should get pregnant but just that I have heard of no complications that could occur due to my age.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011