Teen driver

how much does it cost to add a teenager to your insurance? My son is 15 and I''m scared to see what it will cost so I haven't mentioned it the them. My husband says not to tell them

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Depends on a lot of factors--grades, whether or not the child has had driver's ed, whether he's going to have his own car or be driving yours, who your insurance company is.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• So,r u letting your son drive uninsured? I know it is more to put a boy on then a girl.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 4:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It depends. While they have a permit you just have to list them but there is no cost until they get their official license. I just added my son to our insurance, and without his own car as an occasional driver its around $75 a mth. Once he gets his own car itll be anywhere from $100-$145.

Answer by gemgem at 4:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• If the car is insured, you can let him borrow it. That is legal to let someone borrow your car. If you let a friend use your car, you're not going to put them on the insurance. If he gets in a wreck, your car is insured...everything will be OK as long as the car is insured & he has health insurance. I would only put him on the insurance if he drives the car often. But, if he only uses it once in a while i don't think you have to put him on there.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It depends on the car, where you live, grades, gender, etc. Anywhere from $1,000-2,500 a year

Answer by rkoloms at 4:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I just realized that it might depend on the state. I once borrowed my MIL's car, i was not on her insurance & got in an accident & it was my fault. Her insurance still paid it, but it might be different per state. I believe that in some states, if the person driving the car gets in a wreck & is not on the insurance....the insurance company won't pay. I believe this varies by state.

So, you may want to look into that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It depends on your state, if he'll be driving a shared vehicle or his own vehicle, type of vehicle, etc. You cannot know until you go to your insurance company and ask. I do know that here in NC - as long as they are on a learner's permit they do not need insurance.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• no dancer
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• he will be driving mine,he doesnt have a permit yet were working on it and he isnt driving my car till we do have a permit and he goes on my insurance,I just need someone that has teen drivers in their household to give me a figure so I can kinda know what to expect!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Just call for a quote. Simple as pie. :P
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 12:57 AM on Mar. 16, 2011