Do they have any head starts that are free?

the reason I ask is because I was trying to get my 3 year old in preschool for next school year. Well everywhere around her all the elemenrty schools have a preschool, but it is for slower kids. They said our daughter isn't considered slower, but if they go by her sppech she could. So they called today and told me to call this number to get her enrolled in to head start at this number. They said that they will provide speech therapy at this school for her as well. But I forgot to ask this lady how much it costs to have her in head start? How much does head start cost anyway? I know DH makes to much to go by income and I thought they were going to put her in the preschool we went to but they can't because other than her speech she is fine, but I can't afford to pay monthly thats why I wanted to put her in this preschool cause it was free. Are their any head starts that are free to those that make to much? We make to much, but still can't afford it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Head start is generally free. Its funded by the state.

Answer by gemgem at 4:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Check with WIC or the school. They may have info.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Both of my daughters had speech problems at 3. But they outgrew them. One daughter couldn't say L's. One had problems with S's. Other than that, call your Chamber of Commerce and ask them. I doubt if you will find one free, but finding one close to home at a reasonable price is worth the call. Or if you are in a College town, call your local college and ask if anyone (student) there does tutoring or speech therapy. Students are always in the market for earning a few bucks and usually don't charge a whole lot. Good luck.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 4:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• heard that it is free to those with low income and then if you make to much you go onto a waiting list (because they take those with low income first) then if you get in (with higher income) you have to pay? I don't remember who told me this
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• ve actually the lady that wants me to call this number to get her inrolled. I call the number she gave me and she isn't in the office thats why I was asking
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Both in this state and where I come from Headstart is something only children whose parents fall into a certain tax bracket. We made too much money, we scrape by as it is, where I'm from and here it's only for the children of Spanish speaking only parents. Preschool is not free here. Sorry I can't help. We don't anyone who has managed to get their kids into HS or preschool due to money or language factors. I hope you are able to figure out how your daughter can get in.
    Anonymous

• Kimimale

They weren't putting her there only for speech, but also preschool
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• At ours it wasnt so (low income first). They took who came first and if you earned more then a specific amount they hd a sliding scale they charge. And it isnt all that much. When my dd went the highest amount you paid for full time mon -fri was $145.

Answer by gemgem at 4:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I am a teacher at Head Start in Lane County... and it is free unless you make over a certain amount of money, but even then it is still very cheap.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 4:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Headstart IS free but you have to qualify based on your income. We qualify, but our area headstarts are too full, so we opted to send ours to the local preschool and qualified for a scholarship that's funded by the state. So, ask at another preschool if they have scholarships.
    Anonymous