Do you think we baby kids way to much now a days?

I mean, not that children should be treated like adults. But when we were kids we were expected to keep our toys picked up, we were expected to have decent manners, and we were expected to walk with our parents when we went out... Today it just seems like everyone has this "Oh, they're just kids" attitude. Seriously, it drives me up a wall... No one can win because then someone might lose... Everyone has to be invited so that no one feels unliked - even if they are the class bully... We cant send cupcakes to school for birthdays because some parents don't allow sweets... Then there's the ban peanut butter thing, I mean, what did kids with these allergies do 20 years ago? I have food allergies, had them as a kid, and we never banned food from my school because of it...

How does anyone expect kids to grow up without a super sense of entitlement when we literally change the rules for everyone just to make one happy?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• HELL YES - YES YES YES YES YES and Yes!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think there are many things we lost along the years in the respect area and also in the area of being over sensitive to the needs of every child. The allergy issue.. well having a family member who has almost died from a peanut allergy reaction, I have a different view point in that specific area but to answer your original question, I think we do baby kids more than they should be. I expect my son to listen to us when we are out and to respect people. My sisters have the view points of "they are just kids" and they have become nieces I don't even want to be around now and that is so sad to me..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I know how you feel. I did not raise my kids the way these parents are now day. They give their kids to many options. 

Answer by louise2 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes to everything you said, OP.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 4:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I agree with what you say OP.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I find it super annoying too. We don't treat our kids like that here at home so they will some concept of what the real world is like. I understand not wanting your kids to feel bad but I really thinks it's getting to crazy with all the restriction that have been put in place. We don't have Holiday parties at school, we have season parties so that we don't offend someone, well what if I'm offended? What if the majority if offended in order to keep the VERY few minority happy? How is that fair? We are butt spankers here too and I don't care if someone doesn't like it. I had my butt spanked when I was a child if I needed it. I wasn't beat by my parents. Today I have a husband, a home, 3 cars, 4 kids and a great business.....does that sound like I was deprived of a good like because some girl didn't want me at her birthday party? Oh my...I could go on and on but I should stop now.....lol I love the question though =)

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 4:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I don't conform to anything that I don't believe in.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Eh, I think some things have changed for the better and some not. I think that educationally we are learning how important play is for learning...so allowing kids to play instead of forcing them to do worksheets over and over is a good thing. I also things some forms of discipline in the past were too harsh. Science is teaching us a lot of brain development and as we learn more about how children grow and develop it's important to change our strategies and expectations. I teach my kids manners but at 1 and 3 I don't force it. I teach them how to behave in public but I also recognize that sometimes they just need to run and play. I also recognize that poor behavior often is caused by lack of sleep or food and rather than punish, I get them what they need and teach them better ways to communicate.
    littleflower101

Answer by littleflower101 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Absolutely. On the play front - kids aren't allowed to get dirty, fall down, or do anything remotely "unsafe". It's almost sad.
    On the responsibility front - my 6 year old has more daily chores than some of our friend's 10 and 12 year olds, and she does them without complaint and with a smile on her face. Manners are REQUIRED, non-negotiable (although the 3 year old is still learning!).

Kids are capable of a LOT more than we think.
    LadyMommaDukes

Answer by LadyMommaDukes at 5:24 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Absolutely. Compare the way you raised or are raising yours to the way you were raised...
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011