Throwing away neighbor's junk mail. Yea or nay?

So we live on a postal training route and are always getting our neighbor's mail. I generally toss anything that has her address with "or current resident". I always bring her all other mail. What I am talking about is things like advertisements from the local hardware store or those coupon mailers.

Do you think that is wrong? Would you take the time to bring all mail to her house, even junk mail, EVERY day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• probally not, if it was impotant i would though.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i do the same thing if I know it is junk I throw it out otherwise I give it to the neighbor, but we rarly get the neighbors mail
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Nope, i'd simply write ''return to sender'' or ''does not reside here'' on the envelope and send it back. Or tell the postman/woman that you keep getting your neighbors mail.

you never know when your neighbor wants to be a b*tch and turn you in, even if it is petty mail, such as advertisements, etc..
    Anonymous

• No I would not take the time to take her junk mail every day. Obviously the mail carrier is lazy (Like mine) and I just finally started putting a note on everything and clipped it with boot up the next day "not at this address". Obviously, I've had longstanding issues to make me "take it here" I even had to tape a note inside my box stating the names of people living at this address since we seem to constantly get mail for a multitude of people - junk and otherwise. I think we must have a high sub rate on this route - thats the only reason I can think this happens.

If the mail carrier keeps doing it - then let them have it back to deal with.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would go over and tell them what was happening. I would tell her to come get her mail or I will throw it away.. I would go and talk to the post office about it too.

Answer by louise2 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I'd give them everything that has their name on it.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• That is against the law and if anyone finds out you're doing that you can face federal charges. You need to either give her every single peice of her mail or leave it in your own box to be picked back up the next day. But it's a federal offense to throw away mail that is not yours. I'm a USPS employee and would turn you in if you weren't anon and I had any way to figure out who you were.
    Anonymous

• okay anon. if I throw away only things that say "or current resident" and is delivered to MY house, aren't I the current resident?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Not if it's not your address. If it's your address but the wrong name, you need to mark it and put it back, if it's your address but has "or current resident" you're fine to toss it.
    Anonymous

• Yes I wouldnt bother if its just junk mail
    flowerchild10

Answer by flowerchild10 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011