Why do you tell your kids there is a "real" Santa?

I see all of these people answering questions about Santa-- talking about how crushed they were when they found out the truth (that it was all a big fat lie), and talking about the great lengths they go through to convince their kids that this ridiculous story is true. I know all parents (well, I hope all) teach their kids not to lie, so why is it okay to tell them this particular lie? I get tired of hearing about "it's all the wonder and magic" of Christmas! Believe me, my kids look forward to the wonder of Christmas and they enjoy the story about the original "St. Nick", and we do it all without lying to them! Not trying to get something started, I know everyone has a right to their own opionions and choices. Just seriously wondering why so many people think that the fantasy of Santa is neccesary in order to make Christmas special for children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Jesus is the reason for the season... NOT santa! It's sad that people think they have to entertain the idea of Santa anyways. Entertain the idea of Jesus b/c unlike Santa, Jesus isn't a lie! Not to mention, your kids will have a wonderful christmas without Santa... and later they don't have to go through the part about finding out there is no santa.
    If someone doesn't like what I said, then I'm sorry but Christmas is about Jesus..... so that's that. My kids love christmas without all the fake stuff, they still have joy and tons of fun! Along with many other families I know doing the same thing. :o)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• for me it the tradition of it. my parents made it so fun for us and i was not crushed when i found out the truth. it was a fun tradition and i want my daughter and son to have the same kind of fun i had.
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 10:50 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I as well was not crushed to find out the but in my heart there really is a Saint Nicklaus that brings joy to the holidays. I am a huge Christmas person, my birthday is in December and my 2 yr. old is as well and most importantly the day of Christmas its self. I would just leave this alone, tell your kids what you think is best, but I think its so sad that parents feel the need to shatter a child's imagination just because they feel its the so called RIGHT thing to do. Try and have a little more joy in your life and dont concentrate on the negative. Good luck to you and your children, I hope they still have a good x-mas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• LOL! Anon 11:00, My children are very imaginative, I have a VERY joyful life, and my kids will have a great Christmas! But thanks for your "concern!" And good luck with all that rationalizing you do everytime you lie to your child in the name of "joy" for Christmas!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• the only way a child would be crushed as you put it is if some big mouth told them there was no santa while they still believed my oldest children are teens now and they are the ones that is telling the one year old that santa is coming soon and they are having just as much fun with it that we had with them when they believed. so are we not supposed to let them watch cinderella or beauty and the beast or hey how about bambi is that a lie cuz everyone knows animals don't talk but that is what you are leading them to believe when they watch these as young children
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• There's no Bambi?? Oh, my gawd! :O)

My kids believed in Santa and we had tons of fun with it. They were not heart broken at all when they found out. Good times!
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Jodi, I get your point, however, you don't scheme and connive to convince your children that Bambi talks, or that the Princesses really exist. If they ask a question about it, you feel free to answer truthfully. On the other hand, if they ask about Santa, most parents feel the need to quickly think up a new lie to keep their child from realizing the truth. We have never told our kids there is a "real" Santa, but we also tell them that they should not tell other kids, who believe in him, that he is not real. I would not want my children to be the reason for another child's disappointment.

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• well kids see the shows of santa and the elves and reindeer on the tv there are santas all through stores and when your little one says i want to be like cinderella or isn't bambi funny momma do you sit there and say oh there is no bambi really honey. and you cant be like cinderella cuz she doesnt really exist no you dont you play along it is all in fun thats all it is not hurting any one. my kids didn't have to see a therapist when they found out there was no santa,or easter bunny, or tooth fairy
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I have to say I don't have any lasting issues from finding out santa wasn't "real." I also don't "scheme" in order for my kids to believe. I agree with the other posters about fairy tales and movies. Do you really sit down each and every time to tell your children that those things aren't real as well. Make believe and magic are apart of childhood and I personally don't see a reason to mature them beyond their age level.
    To each his own I guess. But your kid better not be the one to ruin Christmas for mine!
    Artillwife01

Answer by Artillwife01 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Eventually someone's kid is going to "ruin" it for your kid! They all eventually figure it out! And the only reason that will be "ruining" Christmas for your child is because you have taught your child to believe in a lie rather than just enjoying Christmas!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 24, 2008