my little one is 8months old and he loves to pull on the curtin, hair and peoples face . i take his hand away and tell him that is not nice to be nice and show him what nice is but no matter what i say or how much i say he either smiles and laugh or just back to the same thing over and over agine please let me know if i should be doing something different

i dont hit my child i try to show him he might get hurt if he pulls on the curtain i take him away from it but he finds it funny

izzybugg13

Asked by izzybugg13 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're doing fine. It takes MANY times before a baby "gets it". Your goal is to have him understand that NO means NO by 18 months or so - though he'll still see what he can get away with!

My suggestions:
    Don't explain too much. Just tell him "No-No, don't hit" or "No-No, Danger".
    Move him away from whatever it is - even if it means putting him on the floor so he can't hit you in the face anymore.
    If he goes after it again, repeat the same words as before and then hand him something he CAN hit/pull. Then show him how to hit the new thing and say "Yes-Yes! You can hit this"

Repeat Repeat Repeat and redirect when necessary
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• sounds just like my daughter i think all kids pull on things cause they want to know what it is...a child can learn to understand no and what it means but they cant remember exactly want they were being told no about. Kids pull and hit things thats just want they do, i dont think there is really anything you can do about just keep doing what you are doing and in time he might get it.
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 10:33 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Unfortunately, the grabbing thing is just part of his development...he really can't control it and doesn't totally understand discipline right now. My advice is to raise the blinds and wear your hair up until the phase ends. It WILL end, and will be replaced by your next challenge. They are SOOOO worth it, though! Good luck!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Just telling him/her "No" or "Bad" will be sufficient. 8 months old is a little too young to actually comprehend why this action is bad, therfore, it is normal for him/her to repeat this action. But keep saying "no" or "bad".
    kecia_rogers

Answer by kecia_rogers at 2:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2008