• In the Spotlight:

What's up with eating peanuts when pregnant?

I'm asking this as I just ate a pb&j sandwich and now I'm snacking on honey roasted peanuts.... What's with this supposed theory that if you eat peanuts and peanut products when pregnant it will make your baby allergic to peanuts? I don't eat peanuts everyday, but I do like to indulge in this craving I have for them every once in a while (I'm 23 weeks pregnant). How significant is the truth to this? Has anyone had this happen to their baby? What are you, being my fellow mothers, opinion about this "theory"??? I mean come on I gave up smoking, smoked meets, foods containing any nitrates whatsoever, and cut back extremely to only one cup of half caffinated coffee in the morning.... should I really have given up peanuts too?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 11:00 AM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Pregnancy

• dont worry about it. your baby isnt going to be allergic to peanuts just becuz you eat them. its a allegergy you could never touch a peanut your whole pregnancy and baby be allergic later in life. its pre determind regardless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I ate peanuts through my entire pg. My son is fine. I think it is more if you have family with a peanut allergy.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Peanuts are a really good snack while pregnant. They are full of good fats for growing the baby's brain and protein for you. My sister was in the Philippines and they told the moms that had trouble getting enough nutrition to keep peanuts in their pockets to snack on.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:23 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I don't think there's any truth to that. If it was so, I don't think WIC would provide peanut butter to pregnant women. But I could be wrong.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Ok, maybe I was wrong....

Eating peanuts while pregnant is another issue. In general, the results are mixed about how mom’s pregnancy diet affects allergies in the baby. When it comes to peanuts, however, the results are consistent. The chance that a baby will develop peanut allergies goes up with the amount of peanuts that a pregnant mother eats. It makes sense to me for mothers to avoid them if their child is likely to be prone to allergies (in a family with allergies, eczema or asthma).

Some have also raised concerns about aflatoxin, produced by a fungus that grows on some peanuts. The government has set “allowable” levels of aflatoxin for peanuts and peanut products. There are not enough data to make a general public health recommendation that pregnant women avoid all peanuts for this reason. Nor are there enough data to recommend peanuts for pregnant wo
    renea20

• http://www.drgreene.com/21_1476.html

Thats the web-site I got the info from. I'm not sure how credible it is.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• thanks please keep the opinions coming.... bout to eat my second pb&j of the day.... Like I said I don't eat them everyday.... just have a craving today
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 1:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2008