Almond milk & baking?

Can almond milk be used in baking in recipes that call for regular milk? I've discovered, through elimination, that my body does not tolerate dairy well, and I've been drinking almond milk. Want to make some muffins but they call for 1 cup of milk - so I was wondering if almond milk will work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I tried to make a cake with it, and it turned out very dry. But it was a yellow cake and they are notorious for being dry
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Hmm...I'm trying to decide if I dare just try it and risk it...it woudln't be so bad but it's kind of an expensive recipe and I'd hate for them not to turn out and be out the expensive ingredients.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My DH has lactose intolerance too and he normally takes a pill called lactaid before he eats anything with dairy products in it. I've never baked a cake before with almond milk, so I'm not sure about that.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:26 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I've never run into any problems baking with almond milk. If you're worried about dryness, you can try adding half a banana or a Tbsp coconut oil to add moisture.
    LadyMommaDukes

Answer by LadyMommaDukes at 5:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Not so much the dryness, but if it will actually turn out, lol! I've heard you can't do/make certain things with soy milk (not that I use it anyway, blech) so I wasn't sure if almond milk would be finicky also. And Lactaid doesn't work for me, I've tried the pill and the lactose-free milk. Gotta stay away from dairy altogether - ice cream, yogurt, almost all cheese :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I use almond milk with a tablespoon of flax seed oil to help with no dryness and it adds fluffiness to the baked item.
    sendcheer

Answer by sendcheer at 6:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2011