For mothers that have stayed at home....where did the money come from???

I have an 8 month old son, and so far I have been able to stay home and it has been amazing. Recently my husband lost his job, and he thankfully found another job now...But this job doesnt make as much money. I dont want to leave my baby or rotate shifts with my husband, but I really need to keep the money coming in. This economy sucks, and my husband lives 50 miles away from the new job....and gas is really taking its toll on us.

When you stayed home with your baby, what did you do to help with bills???
Are there any legite at home jobs???
What can I do to make money without putting my baby in daycare??

RiaChristine

Asked by RiaChristine at 5:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I got to stay home for the first year but after that I worked nights.....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My husband.

He keeps getting raises & instead of expanding our lifestyle like most Americans do when they earn more money, we save it. We don't plan on expanding our lifestyle until our child is grown & gone. We live in a small 2 bedroom house, share one car, have no monthly payments except our typical bills & we're not in debt. We budget everything & what we don't spend at the end of the month goes into savings.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My husband & my family. My dads a real old fashioned kind of guy and he is also pretty well off. Anytime I even say the word work in relation to me he sees what he can do to help out. I know I am truly blessed & fortunate to be in the situation I am in. Not everyone has that.

Answer by gemgem at 5:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• my hubby makes all the money! but ive also watched a friends kids for extra money sometimes! i thought about getting a night or weekend job but then i would never see my hubby! my job is to take care of my dd and the house and make sure we have all our bills paid and such!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My husband and budgeting up the wazoo. He works 2 jobs to allow me to stay at home (I've asked him if he wants me to work and help out but he's not having it) We live on a REALLY tight budget...we are still able to do fun things but we make sure that we have rainy day money put away first and that we've taken care of all the household bills before we do anything else. I really think the key is budgeting the money that DOES come in. Also my mother and father are pretty well off so if we become desperate I know that they are there to bail us out...but I know not everyone has this comfort so it's all about the budget.
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I watched kids in my home for extra money.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I love living in Canada. Here, when you have kids, you get money from the government. Two cheques every month. It changes every year depending on taxes, and one of them goes until they're 18 while the other ones ends at 6. Of course I don't get them anymore because my son lives with his dad full time, but it was awesome when I did.
    Move to Canada. :P
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I work Part time (6.5 hours) on my DH days off then one or two days a week she stays with a friend and plays with her kids. It's win win for us. I get much needed paychecks and my daughter is with someone who loves her ALL the time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• First- I would suggest taking a look at your monthly bills and cutting out or down on some of the non-essentials. A good place to look first is Cell phones-getting a cheaper plan; Cable-cutting it out or going with a cheaper plan; Groceries-plan each meal so that your not buying stuff that wont get used and cut back on going out to eat.

Before I was a SAHM, SO worked and went to school during the day(8am-10pm) and I worked nights(11pm-7am). We did that for 2 yrs to keep our oldest out of daycare. It was hard but worth every minute of it.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• For a little bit while I was at home, and when I am home on my summer breaks now, I treat saving money like a full time job. We don't have lights on when it is light outside. I religiously clip coupons and browse the sale ads of our local grocery stores to match the coupons to the sales...With this sort of effort, I don't spend more than $50 a week on all of our groceries including diapers, cat food and litter, paper/cleaning products (making most myself), and food...LOTS of cooking from scratch and planning meals...making our own baby food too. I adjust the heat/air settings to provide the minimum relief necessary from the elements.

Oh, and once every six months or so, I dedicate a few hours to calling around to try to get my bills lowered. Its amazing to see how much you can save by changing phone plans, switching cable, adjusting your home/auto insurance, etc.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011