My son is add has anyone used melotonin to help the sleep because day time medicine keeps him up?

flowerchild10

Asked by flowerchild10 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My friend uses it for her 10 year old adhd daughter, at her dr's recommendation. It helpd her stay asleep through the night. Without it, she's up at about 3am, and getting into everything!
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 5:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I have heard of people giving this to thier kids so i want to watch this question. mine has ADHD and has a hard time falling asleep at times.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Melatonin gives me nightmares. If you do give it to him, just be aware that it is a common side effect.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Well we tried Melatonin for Sleep issues my son has had since birth and it gave him a great good 4 hours of solid sleep - then he was wide awake, we tried it for a total of 4 weeks and it did not work for us - it actually negatively affected his behavior and mood -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• When my son was misdiagnosed with adhd he couldnt sleep due to the meds my dr said not to give him melatonin. She instead gave me suggestions that were safe or wrote a script.

Answer by gemgem at 5:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• will you women please get off the Melatonin! that stuff is very addictive and I'd like to know what kind of a doctor recommends it for a child!
    There are so many herbs out there that are not safe, and if they are used it is meant for adults and only occasionally!

many people assume that because something is a herb that it's natural or safe, but that is NOT true!
    Doctors often assume the same thing. Western doctors are usually not trained when it comes to herbs, so they don't know.

there is no way on earth I would give a child Melatonin, and I would consult a licensed practitioner in Chinese medicine before I'd even think of taking it myself.

Anonymous