Sippy Cups?

At what age will you, or have you completely eliminated the use of Sippy Cups with your toddler? I have a 2 almost 3 year old, and I've made the transition to straw or sport type sippers, but should I eliminate them all together? I should say that my child can and does use normal cups, at meal times, but she is still terrible about spilling and I'm hesitant to do it outside of the house. Should I just take the leap, or is it ok to give her more time?

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 5:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son just turned 3 and uses straw cups and the toddler cups that look like travel coffee mugs. I won't take them away until he learns how to balance a cup without spilling it. He tries with small regular cups from Ikea.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 5:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Mine are also 2 and 3. I am in no hurry to get rid of sippy cups and see no harm in them. My kids "practice" drinking out of regular cups at meal time, but use sippy cups any other time.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 5:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I have a 4 yr old (she will be 5 in oct.) and she still drinks out of sport sippys/cups w/ straws. She can drink out of an open cup and does when we are at home.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 5:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My oldest daughter I started her on a sippy at 3 months (the ones with playtext lids) no joke and I was still giving her a bottle and she took herself off a bottle at 9 months old so I had to put her formula in a sippy cup. She was off the sippy and on a regular cup since 2 years she is almost 6 now. My youngest however is 3 and still takes sippy cups. I give her a regular cup a lot, but she still spills her drinks a lot too so when I get tired of cleaning the mess I give her a sippy lol. She will also take a spoon and play in her cup if no lid is on it so ya I get a lot of spills
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• both my kids drink out of regular cups since before the bottle was taken away. my oldest only drinks out of a cup and shes 4 and ive just taken away the sippy for my 2 year old. tired of all those leaking cups and her one good one we just lost the stopper to so i just decided to stop the sippy.
    there are no drinks allowed in the car and they can only have something to drink in the kitchen. o when we are out and about they get a drink when i get a drink so like if im thirsty i know they are so we stop and usually will have lunch so its still at a table or if we are on the way home well we all can wait. if on a long drive though i will get them a juice that has the sport spout and they can have that but otherwise its in the kitchen or they arent that thirsty.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011