Does my son have the right to stop his girlfriend getting an abortion? Help.

My son got his girlfriend pregnant. My son (son is 16, girlfriend is 15) and I are willing to raise the baby. Heck, I would even if he didn't want to and just wanted to visit. However she's determined to get an abortion. My view is that children are a blessing from God and my son also believes this and he is incredibly depressed about his girlfriend in effect killing his baby. So much that he cries all the time and looks deadened, he feels he's a murderer too if she does it. I am happy to help her raise it, help her financially, do whatever i have to but she just refuses. Is there nothing we can do??? I don't want my son scarred for life and I don't want an innocent baby to lose their life. The girl says she 'doesn't want to get fat' and her parents agree they don't want the scandal but would be happy if she was to give the baby up after 'going away for a while'. I'm even happy to pay for her care while pregnant, anything... but she still disagrees.

It seems so unfair.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think the father should have a choice in this as well. its not fair.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• As far as I know, there is nothing he can do to stop her. It's her right.
    Anonymous

• Sorry her uterus her say.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Ultimately, it's her decision. You can't force her to carry a pregnancy any more than you could force her to abort. I'm sorry you and your son are going through this.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:59 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• This disgusts me! I am SO sorry you and your son are having to deal with this!! My heart goes out to your family!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It may be unfair, and the girl sounds horribly immature, but in the end, it's her body, her choice. So no, your son doesn't have a say in the matter. However, I also believe you are completely dismissing the effect it can have on a girl her age to have to go through an entire pregnancy, missing school, going through labor, and giving up a bay.

I'm sorry this is so hard on him, and you, but in the end, it's her choice.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It's not unfair. I had sex that early and pregnancy was always a discussion with my partners. I always told them where I stood. I always knew how traumatic it would be to go through a whole 9 months just to give your baby away in the end. THAT would scar HER for life.

Educate your son before the next time he sticks his parts in someone.

No, neither he nor you have the right to stop her.
    Anonymous

• They HAD the pregnancy discussion and they both said they would always keep the babies if anything happened. My son is well educated and well informed and used contraception.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• No, he's NOT blameless. BUT that BABY is!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• if it was me i would want all the same things. i'd be willing to do absolutely anything to help and to avoid my sons baby be aborted, but in the end it really is her choice, and it's a giant thing to ask of a 15 year old.
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 6:03 PM on Mar. 15, 2011