Naming your child Christian

Do you find it weird when atheists, pagans, agnostics or people of other religions (non-christians) name their children Christian?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes. It would be like a Christian couple naming their child Warlock
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 10:48 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I am Pagan, and I love the name Christian. I had a boyfriend named Christian who passed away, and I almost named my first born child Christian. It's a name.
    ph0xdlady

Answer by ph0xdlady at 11:11 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I don't think so. I don't think every person named Christian is necessarily a christian. It's a name. People use irish names that aren't irish all the time.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 11:17 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• LOL...My second son's name is Christian and I was an Atheist when I had him. I never thought about it. When I was pregnant with him we were watching Robin Hood and I can't remember the name of the man but there was a man in the movie who referred to Robin Hood as "Christian" and my husband loved that as a name. My family was Catholic and I never paid much attention to religion so I only thought of it as a name and not a religion or whatever.

Christian is a nice name for a boy and I don't think a lot of Atheist or whatever use it to disrespect anyone. They really don't go around bashing religious people the way religious people bash them.

I have been an atheist and am Christian now so I feel I know what I am talking about when I say this.
    Susan0976

Answer by Susan0976 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Thanks for sharing that Susan. Very interesting :)

(although I disagree about the non-religious not going around bashing religious people - I see it ALL the time irl and online - that's not to say reliious people don't do their share too. It's sad to me no matter who it's coming from. I think there are also times where both sides are misunderstood too though)
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:27 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I guess it depends on the person - like, some people are really into the meaning of names. I don't really care what a name means as long as I like the sound of it. So if an atheist or whoever wants to name their kid Christian and doesn't care what it means, I guess I don't think it's strange. Now if a pagan, wiccan - whoever - is REALLY into the meaning of names...well, then I assume they wouldn't even consider naming their child that in the first place!
    bretsnag

Answer by bretsnag at 12:51 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Again this is what I meant in my question about Chritians being superior...........anyone can name their child this name. It has different meanings for any one person. Why are you so more Godly if you are a Christian and name your child Christian? You are no better in God's eyes or human eyes. This is what I don't find appealling about those who constantly profess their "christianity." This is not how it was intended to be.
    Anonymous

• Umm, whoa down girl, down lol I don't think it has anything to do with superiority. It's more about it being the name of an entire SECT of worshippers, that makes it sort of odd to call your kid that if you don't share the belief.
    Anonymous

• I'm just making my point, ummmmm again. I'm cool with whoever used the name, believers or not.
    Anonymous

• first anonymous: I don't consider myself superior. I never even identified myself as christian in this thread. a question was asked. I gave an opinion. sounds like the only one passing judgement is you - whoever you are...
    signed,
    balls enough to never be anonymous,
    gotoyourmoms
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 6:08 PM on Jul. 9, 2008