Melatonin

why are you giving children Melatonin?

I'm sure it's comforting to hear stories off all the kids that suddenly sleep so well or those that have allegedly been advised by doctors to give it to children, but I can give you a flip side to it.

I assume that many people think it's OK because it's a herb and it's 'natural' well so is cocaine and marijuana, are you going to give that to your children?

I have sleep disorders and took herbs to sleep. when I landed in a hospital that's when I was told that what I was taking was habit forming and to expect withdrawl symptoms. Not fun!
'Natural' things aren't to be taken lightly, any more than other drugs.
you can dress it up anyway you want by saying that 'it's only used occasionally' or 'I just give a little bit' well so did I!
and I was told by a doctor it was fine too, I'm just lucky I ran into a doctor who actually had some experience in seeing the after affects.
zanax is another drug that is thought to be 'fine' as well. I know a nurse that says that they see people regularly who have to be admitted in hospitals either because of addiction or affects from taking it.
so why aren't the doctors telling people this? Because they don't know, a regular MD usually only sees the beginning of it, they often don't see what happens to people after they have been on it.
it's not like the drug companies are going to advertise all the issues!

and when it comes to herbs, often western doctors aren't educated in that like a licensed Chinese medical practitioner is.

Doctors are human and they don't know everything, and keep in mind that what is on the web is subject to speculation as well.

I urge anyone who is wondering about this to contact a acupuncture school at the very least, call more than one to make a informed decision.
but please look into it.

These are growing children, you have to be careful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Health

• IDK i gave our 17 year old melatonin after football practice with sleepy time tea. It helped him relax and fall asleep. My doctor suggested and it works for our teenager.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 1:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I live hear the celestial seasonings factory, I love their products, but something to consider.

as of right now, I believe the current ingredients don't contain any addictive herbs. But twice before it did. At one point it contained Kava Kava, and another time it contained Valerian.

Most of those 'teas' aren't actually teas, they are herbal infusions. so that is something to think about when anyone drinks it.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2011