Being patient and not losing it

How do you ladies handle the no's, tantrums, and defiance without yelling? We had a really bad day today and I am looking to see how you keep your cool. Our morning was at a doctor checkup and tons of crying and acting up.

rjacob2008

Asked by rjacob2008 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I find that letting one little spurt of pressure release, gives everything the opportunity to settle down. In other words. find a small outlet that is not going to cause hurt or damage. I use to yell in the shower. Somethimes I write a letter and then throw it away. Get your feelings out. find a support group like here that will let you say things. Choose carefully so that the consequences are not bigger than the gains.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I fail miserably at this, so I'm no help to you. sorry
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• beat the hell outta them? hahahha JK JK

I put mine in time out and go somewhere to collect myself.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I spanked if it had anything to do with disrespect or disobedience. Those were the two things that never were gotten away with at our house. If one of them got mad at themselves and had a fit, I just let them have it, but they had to go to their rooms to have it, and nobody else had to watch it. That cut way down on the number of those. But if any one of them was told to do something or not to do something, and if there was any delay, disrespect, or defiance, that was an automatic spanking. And if the disrespect was directed toward me, I took care of it myself and then when Daddy got home, it was reported to him, and there were times when they got spanked a second time by him. Those times were mainly when they were older.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• All of the above...and bribery. My 4 year old loves gum so I will tell her is she can be on her best behavior she can get a piece of gum...an extra book before bed...her nails painted....some treat that she normally wouldn't get.
    It's good for about 50-75% of the time.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Time out so you can cool off for a moment.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 11:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011