What are you supposed to do when you dog is trying to eat her puppies?? :(

My dog just had puppies and she's trying to eat them! :( What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Pets

• Call the vet? I know with cats they told me the mom knew something was wrong with them and would kill them. I tried to save a litter of kittens the mom was trying to smother, they all ended up dying before they were 6 weeks old.

Answer by gemgem at 6:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• get them away from her. you'll have to keep them warm and probably feed them with an eye dropper. we had a dog that tried to do that we saved all but two
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Can I assume that someone in the house picked them up and touched them in the first 24 hours? Human scent on their babies will make them do that sometimes. We had to hold my dog down to feed the babies after my sister carried the babies all over the house right after they were born. But she didn't try to eat them, just ignored them.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 6:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• no one touched the puppies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Remove the puppies from their mother. Get a heat lamp, some blankets and some puppy milk replacer...and a bottle. You will have to feed the puppies every two hours from now until they are 4 weeks old. You will also need to stimulate them to go to the bathroom by wiping their penis or vagina areas with a cloth that has been soaked and then wrung out with warm water.

You will have to find a way to keep them warm as puppies can not regulate their body temperature until after 8 weeks old. It's quite possible that if you can't commit to this you will have to find a rescue or a vet that has a mother that has just finished nursing.

THIS is why people who don't know what they are doing shouldn't be breeding dogs. Fix your female after this so you don't have to worry about this again.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 7:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• acid it is not her fault the mother is rejecting the pups. our dog did the same thing only god knows why but we did what we had to do to keep them alive. why dont people stop criticizing other people. im getting ready to breed my doberman does that make me an awful person? good god gety give it up
    Anonymous

• Chill acid. The only way you learn is by trying. Is she nipping or licking at them, or is she full on chomping and attacking? It's very normal for mothers to nip at their puppies to teach them manners. They will also lick them a lot to clean them. If she is actually trying to eat them, I'd take them to the vet. There may be something medically wrong with them and it's the mother's instinct to kill off weak, deformed, or sick puppies (survival of the fittest). If they get a clean bill of health your vet can then better tell you how to care for them and the best way to do that. I would also fix this female if the puppies are healthy. Some dogs just aren't good mothers. :\
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Acid is always crabby in her responses, cause thats just how she is...acidic....Ignore. Just cause someone breeds their puppies, dosnt mean they are stupid. Breeding puppies dosnt require a freaking masters degree..... I would call a vet and ask them what to do, they might know more. Good luck
    Anonymous

• Is she actually eating the puppies or the nasty sack they come out in, because it is normal to eat the sack.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I love it when people make fun of my name when they have nothing else to add. I also love it when they are too chicken shit to do it without adding their name to their comments.

My name is a combination of my children's initials. Breeding is a science, not something to do just was nothing else on tv that day.
    1st Anon, yes, it does make you a bad person if you don't know what you are doing and are breeding an inferior, poorly bred, bad specimen of dog.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2011