If a person has a disease, such as Schizophrenia, do they understand they have it? *updated*

Might be a silly/dumb question, but I really don't know.

I am talking to a childhood friend in the hospital, and I was told he has Bipolar & Schizophrenia, but I received his first letter and he did not say that, he says he's ''locked up'' because someone laced something he took with PCP and he was going into peoples homes he didn't know. I feel I would be disrespectful if I was to ask him if he has these disorders.....he says he keeps getting time added for getting into fights because of the people in there (such as one male who was masturbating in front of his room, he punched him after he wouldn't leave when asked)

If he has schizo, does he understand he has it? Or can he be in there simply because he was doing ''mental'' things, such as going into people's homes, because whatever he took was laced with PCP?

UPDATED = My mother is the one that told me he has both these disorders, so i'm guessing his mother told my mom that. He is in a mental hospital. Coud he possibly be in there because he really did go into people's homes because of PCP and not because he has a disorder? Would it be okay if I asked him? What are the signs to watch out for to see if he does? I'm writing him through mail, and maybe start by phone later...

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• Unmedicated,most likely not
    My uncle has it and didn't grasp the concept until he was on Lithium

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• A family member is a Paranoid Schizophrenic. When his mood is level he is aware of his disorder. When he is cycling (which can occur even on medications) he will refuse to take his meds, he will say there is nothing wrong with him and that it is other people trying to destroy his life by saying there is something wrong with him. Since he is refusing to take his meds, his behaviors get worse and he soon turns out of control.
    He nearly killed another family member during one of his episodes. He thought that there was a plot to killing him and that he needed to get the other party first.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• UPDATED = My mother is the one that told me he has both these disorders, so i'm guessing his mother told my mom that. He is in a mental hospital. Coud he possibly be in there because he really did go into people's homes because of PCP and not because he has a disorder? Would it be okay if I asked him? What are the signs to watch out for to see if he does? I'm writing him through mail, and maybe start by phone later...
    ______

He could have gone into people's homes while he was having an episode and what he thought was happening really wasn't.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It all depends on if they have been diagnosed. Many people are fully aware- particularly if they are getting help.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• He well may not know. With something like alzheimers, they know in the beginning stages and then they don't. He sounds schizophrenic if he's saying someone laced him with PCP.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Most people may never know they have it, while others go see someone, like a psychiatrist. Bipolar disorder is a fairly common mental disorder compared with the other two disorders. Bipolar disorder is also well-understood and readily treated by a combination of medications and psychotherapy. It is characterized by alternating moods of mania and depression, both of which usually last weeks or even months in most people who have the disorder. People who are manic have a high energy level and often irrational beliefs about the amount of work they can accomplish in a short amount of time. They sometimes take on a million different projects at once and finish none of them. My two nieces mom is bipolar, and she's taking meds for it. I sort of feel sorry for people who have to deal with this. I'm majoring in Child and adult psychology in my bachelors program, and I study this quite a bit.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• He said someone laced his marijuana with PCP (maybe that's a clue i should just run now!!!!) but he said he's trying to turn his life around now that he has a son......
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• No, they don't know they had it. If you think you're crazy then you're not! If you don't think you're crazy then you probably are :p
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 6:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I heard they do not realize they are ill.

Answer by louise2 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Keep writing to him and more evidence of his illness will come out. More bizarre stories and that sort of thing. Bipolar and Schizophrenia are tough disorders. There's a reason he's in the hospital and unlikely PCP would hang around too long in his system to keep him nutty.
    Anonymous