Do you think that teens are more immature these days than in other parts of the world/the past?

I was raised in a small community where the average age for marriage and children was around 15-16. It was a very modest society and it was a happy one, I still visit much of the time. By the way it is legal in that country to marry at 15, why are teenagers considered too immature to have children at 15/16, which I do agree especially around the states I've lived in they seem to have a few problems (well at least 65% of them). I just wonder why is it different? Or are they the same and I'm just not seeing it? I married at 16 and don't ever remember being that immature, but was I? maybe I'm remembering it wrong!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Because you're still a child! Children shouldn't be having children. You should be out getting an education,seeing the world,getting to know yourself,not starting a family.
    OMG yes teens are more immature now!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I dont think they are exactly any more immature then we were, we just see it now where when we were teens we thought we knew it all. I told my mom I worry about my dd lol she is 21 mind you and sometimes she is so silly. I told my mom something about it and she said she used to think the same of me at the same age. She said we just all forget how dumb we were at the same age until we are older.

Answer by gemgem at 6:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Haha good point gemgem!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• TMI- I don't think they are less mature, in a lot of ways I think they are more so. They are dealing with issues we didn't have to deal with at that age, just like we had to deal with things that our parents didn't have to. the world changes.

I think that in a lot of ways they are undereducated, such as sex ed. But then I had a science/bio teacher that taught sex ed and taught it well. You didn't leave his class thinking that you couldn't get pregnant the first time, or that you can't get STDs by having anal or oral sex.
    I don't think that teens in the other cultures are more mature, it's just different.

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Most teens now are horrible. You guys would not believe the things I witness when I pick my son up from his high school. Cursing, smoking, fighting, you name it. Green hair, red hair, yellow hair, orange hair, every color of the rainbow is in these kid's hair.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think it depends on how you're raised and under what circumstances. If you have to work for food to eat, you're probably a little more mature and aware of things than if you're head is glued to the Wii.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I do believe it ambr2006! I see the same at my daughter's high school and that's what makes me wonder! One of her friends has had 3 abortions already, well according to her today when she was talking to me at the kitchen counter, I just couldn't stop staring at her. I just wondered why why why.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• We has smoking, cursing, and all sorts of hair colors when I was in HS in the 80s. So nothings changed? LOL
    My sons in HS and actually they seem better behaved then my school mates in the 80s.

Answer by gemgem at 6:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• In the USA it is not about maturity. It is about laws mostly. American kids are not legally grown tell the age of 18. That means having babies before then is "not right" in our country.

Answer by louise2 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• wow people are cruel
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 6:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2011