How can i be there?

well my sil so went to prison for a year. shes very upset and i want to be there for her but what do you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• You cant really other than letters, few phone calls and maybe a visit over the weekend. I work at a prison. its dramatic for families and VERY hard.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 7:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• nothing much you can say, just try to be there for her. if you can handle it maybe you can go on some visits with her, prison is a very scary place to visit. also maybe you and her could start doing a class together if time permits like yoga, curves, a knitting or quilting class etc. just being surrounding by other women might take her mind off of her problems even though it is for a few hours.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• what kind of things can she do while she's in there? can she take college courses? Maybe start some writing that she wasn't able to do before?
    sorry, I don't know much about bring in prison, but grew up in a prison city. I'd hear about prisoners doing that sort of thing, maybe you can help her find out what her options will be before she goes in. Maybe that will make it less scary.

when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Hopefully she can get a shorter time due to good behavior. Bless her heart. Just be there for her. Write, call, visit... I would encourage her to stay as busy as she can. College, exercise, Bible classes. Pray for her. God can help more than anything.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 15, 2011