Early Childhood Care & Education Degree @ Tech School?

I am currently enrolled in a community college for an A.S. In Early Childhood Education but plan on leaving to attend a technical college for a A.A.S. in early childhood care and education.

Has anyone ever done this and graduated? What was finding a job like? Do you wish you would/could of done it over and went for a Bachelors in ECE? What kind of job did you get with this degree? Do you have any comments, tips or recommendations?

RainbowMom132

Asked by RainbowMom132 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in

• IMO the bachelors degree will serve you better and if you combine it with a teaching certificate it will be even better. You will get a better job if you have the teaching certificate.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:06 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yeah but I can't wait 4 years to get a degree. My parents want me out of their house, I have never had a job, so with no work experience no one is wanting to hire me. I even applied at pizza hut and they said i was underqualififed, and all that was for was to make pizzas. Doesn't take a college degree, doesn't even take a GED or hs diploma.

Graduating with a bachelors doesn't guarantee that you can get a job in that profession. But the technical college system in my state guarantees that if you are not adequately trained in your profession when you get a job they will retrain you at no expense to the student or employer.
    RainbowMom132

Comment by RainbowMom132 (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• That sounds fantastic!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• In my state, the pay for a child care teacher with an AA or a BA is the same....barely $10 an hour. The tech college in my city has an amazing EC program. Centers encourage people with the AA to apply because of the hands on learning that is received at the tech college. Ask in the career center of the tech college what the outlook is for an AA in EC to get a better idea.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2011