Can science be "spiritual?"

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure that science itself an be 'spiritual' but people can feel spiritual about nature and science. Also, you can do scientific study of things that are considered 'spiritual'.

Some religions embrace science, like Scientific Pantheism ,Buddhism, and Taoism as my own personal examples. There are other beliefs that look at reality through science as well.

"Pantheism fuses spirituality and science, mind and body, humans and nature."~Paul Harrison
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Science itself, No. However people can assign a spiritual meaning to it such as some people do to candle or family heirlooms. That is something dependant on the individual.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think it can be. It really depends on the meaning given to it by the individual. There are those of us, though, who do believe that science and other kinds of things we can learn about the world around us can help us better understand and relate to the Divine, so in that kind of way of thinking it definitely could be spiritual...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• yes
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• No.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:53 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I agree with bandgeek but these are all good answers IMO.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:07 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I do think some people can end up believing in science as deeply and faithfully as others believe in a religion. I do think that some people can end up "blinded" by their devotion to Science.
    Personally, I don't think Science and religion contradict each other, at least not in my religion. When one actually takes the time to learn, Science can actually give us evidence of G-d. IMHO, the only way to truly be complete and have a complete view of the Universe is to learn and embrace both science and religion. They're really just two approaches to Truth. Science seeks the how, religion seeks the why.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:20 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Most definitions of spiritual are supernatural, so no. Science adresses the natural world. Science can make me extremely amazed and in awe of the universe however. The natural world is so weird and wonderful. I am amazed all the time by what science reveals to me about the universe.
    mommy2myles

Answer by mommy2myles at 9:58 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• Yes, because looking at the whole question of learning about the world is spiritual. That said, a particular science experiment is about as spiritual as a load of laundry--only spiritual if you keep your eyes on the big picture of WHY you're doing it.
    Sarahinez

Answer by Sarahinez at 5:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011