Is this not an invitation for bad decisions?

My 16 year old son will be a junior in high school next year and will be allowed to go off campus for lunch with parental consent but I just feel that is a bad idea. The students only get 30 minutes for lunch and the nearest fast food place is about 5 minutes away. I just think giving him permission to go off campus is an invitation for speeding and reckless driving just to get back to campus on time. How do you guys feel about this-give him permission to leave or make him stay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I always give mine permission. I had it growing up. You can get to and from in 5 min and usually end up being able to eat and get back in time.

Answer by gemgem at 7:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• How reckless does your child act usually?

It would honestly depend on my child. Do you trust their driving skills? Do you trust his friend choices? Do you trust him to keep an eye on the time? Basically do you trust him?

I used to leave campus for lunch & it was like 5mins away too for 30min break, I dont ever recall anyone being reckless. Late for class yes but driving fast to get there on time we just accepted being late which to us was no biggie ya know.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I'd tell him to stay put. some kids in my class were killed this way, they were rushing to a fast food place and died in the process.
    30 minutes isn't long enough to really go anywhere even if it were that close.

He'll be done with school soon enough, he can deal with eating on campus.

besides, a packed lunch is better than the fast good any how.
    Anonymous

• Do not give permission this year. But give it next year in his senior year.  JMO

Answer by louise2 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Been there, done that. Depends on who he goes with and when they have to ba back. I was always a couple minutes late with certain friends. Is he trustworthy? Is he getting good grades? Can he get fast service where they are going? Base it on that.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 7:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• i had it but i used it to go off campus and smoke. not for food really but of course i didnt usually eat lunch at school. id wait til i got home to eat.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My high school had off campus lunch for all grades, and still does. And they did not require us to have parental consent! I think that high school students are fully capable of walking to get lunch if they choose, and know how to behave appropriately. I dont remember ever hearing anything about the school or community having problems with reckless behavior. We would walk to WinCo and eat from the deli, or go to Taco Bell or Mcdonalds :) If we had cars we we head elsewhere.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 8:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My daughter attends a big city high school; all students in 9-12th grades are allowed off campus for lunch.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Our HS doesn't allow the kids to leave campus for lunch.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:10 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• as long he back in time for school sure my kids have done no matter what
    how long do want him to be your baby let him go if he is late he will now next time to be on time
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2011