Do you think abortion should be legal universally (well all around the world)? Is it legal in your country/state and to what stage?

With all the abortion questions at the moment I thought I'd pipe in with my own! Here in Ireland it is not legal and many people have an agonised decision and go to organisations in the UK, well from what I've heard... Due to this being a catholic nation. I personally don't know what I agree with, I can't say I'm on the "keep it illegal" or the "legalise it" band wagon. I don't know where I am. I don't think I agree with it at all but I don't know. By the way in cases where the mother's life is at risk or the mother is so young her life would be at risk and it can be decided by a doctor it is legal.

So what should happen in your eyes? And to other countries/your own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I believe it should be legal world wide, yes. I'm not pro-abortion, I'm pro-choice. I would not have one, but I don't believe I have the right to dictate what other women do. And whether or not it's legal, it will still happen. So I'd rather it be legal, regulated, and SAFE. I do not believe in late term abortions unless it's for medical reasons only.

I grew up in The Netherlands, where it's legal, and now live in California, where it's legal.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:11 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I agree with you Anouck. Perfectly said.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I am against abortion 100% unless the mother is going to die. I live in the states in NC and I believe it is legal here. In my area we do not have an abortion clinic within oh Id say 60 miles, maybe more. We are a very Christian area in the Bible belt so its looked down on by most. I happen to be Catholic. Our laws are as follows:
    First 20 weeks of pregnancy no medical requirements regarding mother or fetus; after 20 weeks, must be substantial risk that would threaten life, health of mother. Unemancipated minor needs written consent plus written consent of parent/guardian, exception for medical emergency or judicial waiver.

Answer by gemgem at 7:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes, I think it would be good if abortion were a safe and legal choice world wide. To continue on with a pregnancy and give birth is NOT the right choice for everyone, and every woman in every country should be allowed to make their own reproductive decisions. I live in the US, and abortion is legal in all 50 states.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think abortion should be legal, simply because I don't think making it illegal is the way to prevent abortions. Even when abortion is illegal, there are still people who travel to have an abortion, or who have an abortion illegally and often under unsafe circumstances. I think that reducing the number of women who choose abortion is a more worthwhile goal, and I think there are better ways to do this than through the legal system... good access to birth control and sexual health information, access to medical care during and after pregnancy, better maternity leave options, to name just a few.

I'm in Ontario, abortion is legal here, and I'm not sure at what point it becomes illegal. I know a couple people who have had abortions, but no one who has had a second trimester abortion unless it was a medical termination (one family member had an induction due to anencephaly- baby had no brain or skull.)
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Abortion is legal where I live , a matter for a woman and her doctor . As it should be.. Anything else is an infringement of a woman's rights and personal freedom .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I have mixed thoughts on this. I agree that making abortions illegal is not the way to prevent them, but I really struggle with a woman having the right to kill a child just because it is her child. If a pregnant woman is killed here in the U.S., then the killer is charged with murdering both the woman and child. But if the woman kills the child, then it is legal. Ridiculous logic. How about legalized abortions with significant mandatory counselling required in advance?

Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 10:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It's legal in Britian which is where I'm from and it's legal in Canada which is where I live.  It's also free in both countries.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• It is legal here. I don't agree with it at all but, I think it should not be legal after 23weeks. And it is not TAXPAYER FUNDED. You wnat an abortion, pay for it YOURSELF. Nothing is free someone is paying the doctor.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Sorry but if you are pro-choice you are pro-abortion. No hair splitting on this issue it is what it is.
    Anonymous