Is being a step-mom easier than it looks?

I am dating this really great guy with 2 children.

I have 2 children of my own to add.

We have been slightly talking of a "future". Brian and I + 4 more.

To the step-moms out there, any tips that you have learned from the dating process, through the marriage and the years ahead that you could share to someone such as myself that may be where you are possibly one day?

CandyHorse

Asked by CandyHorse at 7:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Relationships

• Do not bring the kids into it until you are sure. The more people they meet the less respect they will give your future partner. Take getting to know them at their pace not yours. Do not just do the really fun special things but normal everyday things too. You can not keep up the pace of shopping and amusement parks every day. Good luck
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I have been spending a few days a week over at his house. we might take the kids with us somewhere but, we normaLLY just hang at his place while he cooks and the kids play together. Our children do quite well together. And, we do find time to ourselves in between.
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• The only advice I have is this, NEVER try to discipline his children, and don't let him discipline yours. It is very well known that this only causes resentment on the childrens part. Take it really slow. Blending families is the hardest thing in the world, but it can be done. You see a lot of step moms venting about it because it does take a toll, esp. if the kids have any sort of issues, or if the exes are not nice. Good luck and God bless;)
    Oh and ps, pay attention to his kids issues and the way he disciplines b/c it may be fine now but don't ignore anything you don't like. Keep your communication very open:)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2011