Hard Stool...Please help

My 11 month old daughter is having bowel issues. For the last fews days she has been having hard stools. She grunts and strains, she gets into a push up position and starts crying. She is having 1-2 bowl movements a day so I was told she is not truly constipated. I give her pears, peaches, peas, pineapples (all canned or cooked) prune juice (4oz mixed w/ 2oz water) and all the stool softening foods but still she has hard poops. She eats mostly table foods but still eats stage 2 & 3 baby foods. She drinks about 15oz of soy milk and sips water through the day.

Any ideas on helping her to have softer stools?

Momma2Miranda

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 7:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• soy can be constipating. if you are going to do soy then i would try do do more green foods
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• ask your doctor if you can give a little karo syrup too. Plus prunes (not just juice)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:22 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• try white grape juice, it helps with my 13mo LO. or karo syrup worked when she was around 5months.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• more apple juice (or don't water it down as much), less bananas
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 7:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Kayro syrup in my formula bottle works wonders with my 5 month old. But she was constipated... a bm once a week, and it was was either real dry or really pasty thick.
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 10:28 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• karo helps but ask the doc first
    Sage11

Answer by Sage11 at 11:43 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I give my Ds a prune bottle in the morning she is 12 mo and she was having a hard stool problem while teething. I also gove her pently of water during the day and I don't feed her white starches like rice cereal, rice, and white noodles.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Did this just start recently, and if so, has anything changed in her diet recently? Try offering solids that are high in fiber, and ask the doctor about a possible fiber supplement. Is this a problem at every bowel movement? Prunes and prune juice can help. Karo is not recommended in babies, as it poses a risk of botulism poisoning, like honey. The quantity of bowel movements doesn't matter, if the stool is dry, hard or pellet like, it's considered constipation. If the pedi is not being helpful, and this something that has been going on for a while, ask for a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Apple Juice is what I was told was the best but I think it depends on the child and their body.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 1:51 AM on Mar. 19, 2011