Can anyone help me with ideas of hiding FRUIT in foods?

My son has some "issues", textures of food is a big one. He doesn't like most fruit because if the seeds (like on strawberries, stuff I cant get without seeds) and he doesn't like the texture of Oranges or even Bananas. I tried smoothies but could not get it cut up enough to get the strawberry seeds small enough. I want to give him blue berries, bananas, and strawberries, but I cant come up with any other ideas on how to put it in anything with out him still feeling the textures of the fruits. Does anyone know of good ways to hide the fruit? Please help!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• How old is he? He will probably outgrow it. Try banana bread, strawberry bread (both have nuts to hide the seeds, flavor), fruit cocktail cake. Or just give him apples, which are better for him. He may be too young for blueberries, I can't stand them myself. Apple slices with peanut butter is a great afternoon snack, tastes great too. Just give him what he likes for now. Introduce other things at a later date. My grandson would eat potatoes any way I fixed them except for potato salad. At least until he was about 6. Couldn't figure that one out, but didn't push it. He loves it now.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 7:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• we have alot of food texture issues here as well with our ASD guys, Ive had to get creative and play with food a bit to make it work. Smoothies work with the blue berrie if they are frozen first and use lots of ice and yogurt for a creamy texture, bananas that have turned some smooth out better as well. I gave up on strawberries in the smoothies becasue of the seeds but have also started doing peaches in them too. The current fav here is peach and banana with a splash of a squeezed orange mixed with plain yogurt,ice and a splash of vanilla. We are cooking down fresh strawberries(boiling the heck out of them) and using it on top of pancakes or mixed into muffin batter, the same with blueberries, once you cook them down you can mix them into anything without the texture issue. Another thing we are trying is to use the juice from fruit like oranges, grapes, ect and freeze them in to ice cubes then adding them to water to flavor
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• use applesauce (or cooked down apples without the sugar) in place of some of the oil when you bake...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:31 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You can make smoothies and run it through a mesh that way the seeds stay in the mesh and the smoothie is more yummy.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 11:18 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would try using a food processor and then a blender to mix all the fruit together. I like the idea of using applesauce when baking. Good luck!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2011

• The Deceptively Delicious book has a lot of good ideas.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:39 PM on Mar. 18, 2011

• sodapple and Tam voiced my suggestions =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 8:28 AM on Mar. 19, 2011

• Bake with applesauce...make smoothies, I use to mix fruit into yogurt or cottage cheese. My son loved it.
    Onmyown2727

Answer by Onmyown2727 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 19, 2011

• I have found that frozen fruits work better. Have you tried a juicer?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 9:39 PM on Mar. 20, 2011

• juice, and strain with cheesecloth... add to yogurt, smoothies, baking, etc... you get all the goodness, none of the seeds...
    asil

Answer by asil at 1:49 AM on Mar. 21, 2011