I HAVE A 11YRS OLD THAT THINKS SHE HAS TO SAY SOMETHING BACK EVERYTIME SOMETHING IS SAID TO HER OR EVEN AROUND HER,ANY SUGGETIONS ON HOW TO FIX THIS BAD HABIT.EVEN IF WHAT IS SAID DOESNT ENVOLVE HER AT ALL,IF I TELL HER TO DO SOMETHING SHE HAS TO GET THE LAST WORD IN .

samsmom997

Asked by samsmom997 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• omg i have a fourteen year old that does the same damn thing talk about making me blow up, this is an everyday thing too. i have a conversation with his sixteen year old sister he has to be right there putting his two cents in if i tell him to do something or not to do something i get flack and he keeps going and going i tell him to stop or be quiet and he says why don't you i have tried everything i could think of and as a matter of fact he is grounded for the next threee weeks which is really driving me crazy i am about to cancel the grounding just to get him out of the house so i can have some piece and quiet. good luck to you girl
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My 11 yo does that too..... I want to smack him. I don't know how to get him to stop, but wanted you to know you're not alone! Hopefully its a stage!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:14 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Hey ladies, read the pot above this one...there is your answers right there, for this situation also! Good Luck
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 2:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• sorry dear but that sounds like a tween to me ~ sounds normal, i think thats when us moms perfect the heavy sigh! lol
    tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• If I am not talking to my child and they are being rude I will let them know that It is the end of the discussion and I leave it at that...I do have one son that will ask over and over and I have to look him in the eye and let him know that if he ask one more time he will regret it...he knows I mean what I say and never pushes me. Consistency is so important say what you mean and mean what you say.

TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 7:04 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• My MIL suggested that I mutter under my breath at my nephew, it drives them NUTS!
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 10:44 AM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I have one of those too. She's been like this over a year now and I haven't killed her yet. I give myself a lot of credit for that.
    Anonymous

• USE a taprecorder and recorder her while shes talking and play it back over and over but dont let her know your recording her just dont speak and then play it as she still yelling
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 1:44 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• My 11 y.o. son also does this. What I have done is, let him know that he is not an adult, and that he has no right to interject whenever he feels necessary. This is also happening at school, I have gotten 2 separate teachers calling me on this subject. It's all a respect issue, what I have done for punishment is, he has to write a 2 page essay about this issue, why he feels that he needs to do it, and what the consequences will be if he were to continue this behavior. (EX: no one will want to talk to him, having to go to private school) It seems to be working out, so far. But if he doesn't have it done within the period I have given him, he will have consequences (grounded from friends, video games, cell phone) that last until the paper is finished.
    mdavisfae

Answer by mdavisfae at 10:26 AM on Nov. 29, 2008

• As soon as the child interjects or mouths off...tell him to go to his room (or a designated spot where there is no entertainment - such as the laundry room)...when he returns ask him...what do you have to say now?? and see if he appologizes to you for his rude behavior....do this every time there's a problem and I guarantee it will clear up...the "thinking' time gives them time to realize their mistake and to appologize is hard and humbling. Don't allow them to return or come out of the laundry room until they understand they are required to appologize for their behavior.
    3kidsatonce

Answer by 3kidsatonce at 3:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008