How do you feel about home birth with kids present?

My husband and I are expecting our 3rd child in July and my husband and I are beginning to work on our birthing plans. Our 2nd child was a home birth and it was such a beautiful experience and I would really love for our older kids to be a part of their siblings birth this time. But my husband isn't too thrilled at the idea of our kids attending the birth. He feels it would be too much for children and that it's not appropriate for them to be there during the birth. Our children are 9 and 11 so I think they are of the age when they can handle something like this. Of course we are leaving it entirely up to them as to whether or not they attend but they have both already told us they want to. How do you feel about kids witnessing home births?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's not for me but my niece had her kids there and they were under age 10. If your kids want to be there it is a wonderful teaching event. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Being they're only 9 and 11 I wouldn't allow my children that young to witness a birth regardless home or hospital. Maybe if they were older like 15, but that's IMO.
    Anonymous

• I would probably wait til my kids were a little older for that, but that's just me. Good luck! :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 7:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• It would be a great learning experience. But, give them the option that if they want to not attend or leave, they may. Someone will need to explain a lot to them beforehand and during so that they don't freak out.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 7:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think you should fully inform them as to what to expect and let them tell you what they want to do.

Child birth is a beautiful thing, but also quite bloody and a little frightening at times. I'm not sure how your kids will cope with seeing you in the pain you'll experience during labor - but I don't know your kids :)

Good luck with the birth!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think it's great. Just be sure to prepare them and give them the opportunity to back out if they decide they would prefer not to be there. Have somebody that can take care of their needs while you are in labor. Most kids do very well at a birth.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 7:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• You know your kids. It is a natural and amazing process and will help them later on in life when their time comes. I think it is a marvelous chance to teach out kids about how life works. :-) And, if it isn't for them- they can always hang out in their bedroom if they are uncomfortable.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I think it's a wonderful idea, and when we have another child in a few years, our daughter will probably be there to witness it (that will be a homebirth unless there is an emergency). So long as the older children know what to expect and they want to be there, and you want them there, I say let them.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My daughter is 9 and even hearing about the birth process made her not want to ever have babies. I wouldn't have had her watch me deliver for anything! But you know your kids . . .

Answer by missanc at 8:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• .....are they girls?? may be a good birth control/no sex before marriage tool!! lol just kidding :) I want to do at home birth but i have a tiny house and don't know how i would pull it off
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2011