S/O Should the media be more careful about what they print?

Wisconsin's Governor Wins, but Is He Now Dead Man Walker?

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2058601,00.html#ixzz1GiIw5B7d
This question is regardless of if you are right or left or in between.  After AZ there were people who put blame on Palin for her crosshair maps. Now there is a story that says Dead man Walker and also mentions chalk outlines of bodies with Walkers name.
Now there have been death threats to Walker along with the other Pubs that have been in the media
This is not about if logical people would know what these things are referring to its about if people who are unbalanced would or could take it the wrong way.
Now the question should the media be more careful or all is fair?
My thought is if nothing else as a CYA move they should be a little more careful.

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No.. Civility only mattered when the left wanted to desperately search for something to demean and complain about the right.... Alinsky classic maneuver...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Sorry the spaces keep going away I have tried to put them back in 3 times in edit and its not happening.
    Charis76

Comment by Charis76 (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

Exactly
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:44 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I'm going to ignore grlygrlz2's answer, as it's just meant to stir up drama. But to answer your actual question, yes, I believe they SHOULD be more careful, because people are so divided right now, and extremists on both sides will grasp at anything to start trouble. On the other hand, I can understand why they go for the attention grabbing headlines, because that's what they're paid to do. The more attention their article gets, the better for them...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes, but they won't be, they all seem to care ONLY about sensationalism!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Yes, the media should be more careful about what they say and print.

And...politicians should be more careful about what they say.

And we ALL should be more careful about what we say. I think we should all reflect on OUR own words and on how our words and/or actions impact others or contribute to hate, violence, and general division of people. Words are very powerful. If all we do is point fingers back and forth without looking at ourselves...all of us, nothing will ever change. If things will ever change, it has to start with individuals...with us--not just the media or politicians. We also need to tell our own politicians (or those we favor if we don't belong to a political party) to stop with violent metaphors and hate speech and not just complain when the 'other side' does it. It doesn't help anything IMO, and just gets in the way of finding common ground and compromise.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• That's the problem, alot of times the media sensationalizes a story for a number of days/weeks and it becomes engrained in your mind. If you're a little to the left, then by adding to the story you become part of the story. There's LOT of nut jobs out there who are just waiting for stories such as this. They believe in their warped mind if they carry out such threats that are making the headlines, that they become a martyr and everyone will praise them. I have no respect for journalists that cross the line from an actual news story to bring attention to the fact that their extreme storytelling could be detrimental to someones wellbeing.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• The media should be factual. Reporter's opinions should not be reported. I do not need to have a situation "explained" to me. That is why I have stopped watching the news. I read a local paper and then only pick what I want to read. TV is all about sensationalizing the news, ratings and money generated from commericals. The news on TV needs to be commerical free and just about the facts. As Joe Friday said, " just the facts, madam, and nothing but the facts."
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 9:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Of course they should be more careful but it's as if they don't really care. They just want drama so they can get viewers or readers.
    Most don't even fact check anymore. They just throw it out there. Nothing is out of bounds anymore
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I don't think there is any reason to walk on eggshells.

It's a headline that uses figurative language.

What i do think is that people need to stop whining about every little thing that offends them and move on with thier lives.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2011