My mil thinks that my house is dirty and ALWAYS comments on it!

I have two kids, and a dog. My house is going to be a little messy. I don't comment on how she keeps her house. Anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in General Parenting

• If your drapes are closed all the time, it will look dingy and possibly dirty. Open the curtains or blinds. It will make a big difference. If it's a little messy, so what? It's not dirty, just a little messy. And the only woman I knew that had a spotless house was neurotic. LOL
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 7:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I'm lucky that my MIL never says anything about the state of my house - although there is plenty to say!

A little mess never hurt anyone, but making your family miserable trying to keep your house neat as a pin definitely would.

Maybe she shouldn't come over if it bothers her that much.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Just ignore her. It's your house.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• MILs AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Anonymous

• I would tell her if she has such a problem with my home she is more than welcome to stayat her home.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 8:04 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't let her comments pass without saying something.

Say, "You're right, it is a bit messy. Would you mind unloading the dishwasher then filling it with the dishes from the sink? That would really help out a lot."

Then stand back and see what happens!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:27 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• make your husband tell her to stop LOL that's really rude and not her place!!
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 8:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My mil doesn't comment on our house...she knows what it's like chasing after a kid and picking up after 3 people (self dh and child),...but my fil on the other hand said something to dh abouthpw messy our house was bc our floors aren't shiny (rental home..floors weren't done before we moved in) and our kitchen table was dirty from dinner...after I bustedcmy butt making sure the house wasckean...and then contradicts himself saying he knows how hard it is to keep a clean house with our destructive child...grr
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 2:07 AM on Mar. 16, 2011