Parents with children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD?

I have a 1st grader who is not doing well in school at all and I'm wondering if there might be something else going on. ADD runs in my husbands family and my son's teacher says she has no doubt that he's learning and he really knows his stuff, but she can't get him to focus on papers or sit still and pay attention to anything. He isn't able to sit & do his work without fooling around or trying to talk to his peers. When I work with him at home its one-on-one and he is amazing and does everything right, but the secomd I give him a paper to do and I walk away and hope he does it, instead he seems like he goes off in another world and doesn't do his work. Does this sound like ADD to you? How were you able to tell your child has ADD? My MIL is positive he has it since almost all her kids did, but I'm just not ready to label him just yet. Any suggestions? Thanks ladies!

ILuvMy3Kiddos

Asked by ILuvMy3Kiddos at 12:09 PM on Nov. 24, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I'm going through the same thing. Honestly if you think it's a possibility you could look into alternative treatments. I dont like the labeling myself but at the same time I was under the impression that the schools have extra things they can do to help ADD children. I have never been around an ADD child but my son shows some symptoms. I dont know if he is. I'm finding out with an evulation. Good luck!
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 12:44 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• It sounds like it could be, I'd see his dr for an evaluation. However, it also could be that he's just very, very smart and so is bored with the work, and therefore doesn't want to do it. Both of my kids have ADHD, and they are like that in that when I am working with them one on one, you wouldn't know they have a problem, but it's b/c I am so focused on them that they aren't able to lose focus b/c I keep them focused. I'd talk to the dr and see what they say. They'll either tell you that they think he's fine or give him an evaluation that will tell you either way, and then you can start looking at all your options to help him. But, please, don't use meds as the first step. Do lots of research.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:50 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• boy kissing momI waited 13 years to get my daughter tested because i was afraid of labels. My daughter is very smart. she does very well in the subjects that interest her. she does her home work and forgets to hand it in or take it to school. things like that.I feel I did her more harm then good worrying about labels. when you know that there is a problem and you choose to ignore it it will get worst. when you address it you can help your child. you make the choice on weather to use meds or not. so don't let that issue stop you. there are ways to help him without meds. he is young. i would do something now before it gets worst. good luck.

indesperateneed

Answer by indesperateneed at 8:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2009