Where do I began to ween my baby off of breastfeeding?!

My son is 10 months, has 8 teeth and we've been moving for the last two months with hubby's job (military) that I've not been able to do it when I wanted to. Now my baby boy, had 8 teeth..will drink ANYTHING out of a bottle, BUT breastmilk or formula..I don't know what to do! I can barely take the teeth anymore, but each time we try he throws such a HUGE fit, throwing himself, screaming each time we attempt to give him ANY type of milk in a bottle. Are there any tips or is this just the way its gonna be and is "normal"? I'm lost and he's been a little difficult since he cut his first teeth at 5 1/2 months and every few weeks since, has popped one up..or maybe he's "just being a baby"..either way, I need advice!

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• bump - try to drop a feeding in the daytime until you are just breastfeeding at night, give your baby more solid foods to fill its tummy more like with cereals, fruit,etc. etc. and just keep trying with the bottle or I would just try the sippy cup now since he is 10 months old just keep trying your baby will eventually give in - hold on as long as ya can...your baby sure got teeth fast and is going through alot of teething & being breast fed is very soothing & calming for the baby....make sure your baby is latched on real good so you are not feeling the teeth so much. I know the teeth can hurt!! been there but I was lucky my lil' guy was pretty gentle. GL.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I started my DD on milk at 11 months out of a sippy cup. She loved it and only asked for the boob at nap time and I would refuse and give her the milk. It took about a week or so.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• when u are ready. you already breastfeed anyway and thats the most important part is that you did it for even over 6 months!!!! good for you mom!
    080583heather

Answer by 080583heather at 11:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• my ds got his 1st tooth at 4 1/2 months and dd at 5 months I nursed ds til 11 months... I didn't have to wean I couldn't BF so i qut cold turkey.. this can be very bad and cause mastis (sp).. like sarasmommy07 said drop a feeding every week and keep offering BM in a sippy or bottle.. but you're not supposed to give anything other than breastmilk or formula in a bottle.... And there is no reason for your baby to have a bottle especially at this point.. just another thing to wean them from... just some advice.. also feed solids first then nurse too. GL!!
    k.stark

Answer by k.stark at 1:15 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• He's quite normal. But you can teach him not to be a fine young cannibal... there's a great article on nursing manners on kellymom.com.

If you're not done with the military moves,. I would not try weaning just yet. The changes in your environment will make it much harder than it's going to be already.

When you've "landed" so to speak, drop one feeding per week till gone. Before one year it must be replaced with formula. After the one year mark, however you like. Does not have to be milk! He can go without cow's milk and be quite healthy as long as the solids are healthy ones. (By the way... nurse first solids after till the first birthday.) Water is great for hydration.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• I agree with Gdiamante
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Have you tried the BM/formula in a sippy cup? Typically, when weaning before 12 mos, you would replace one nursing session per week with formula or expressed breast milk. Teeth don't mean you have to wean, just that you must begin teaching nursing manners. If biting is not the issue, it's possible that he simply doesn't have a good latch, which could cause his teeth to hurt without biting. If biting is the issue, start teaching him. If it's not, get latch evaluated.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011