Opinions about PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus).

Okay, i know that this is ultimately my decision, i just want opinions ...

My son has a hole in his heart that they are calling a small PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus). The doctor has told me that he has this since birth and it will not go away on its own.. so i have 2 options ..

1. Leave it open - With this option there is a 1 in a million chance that he could get an infection of the vessels and basically be on antibotics the rest of his life ..

or

2. Close It - They will do a procedure where they put a catheter up through a vein in his leg and go up to heart and put a plug in. Now with this, there is a small chance that this plug could move into his lung (but mind you that with each passing day that it does not move, stands a better chance it will not move.. basically after about a month if it has not moved it has implanted itself where it needs to be and shall stay) ...

Now, even though this is nothing that needs to be taken care of immediately, I am still just looking for advice, or if anyone else has had to deal with something similar.
Thank You In Advance For The Help

mommak2908

Asked by mommak2908 at 8:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Health

• I would apply for SSDI now. This will give you some time to think about your options. You may need SSDI to help with the expense should you decide to opt for surgery.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 1:45 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Have the surgery NOW.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• @ rosetoes - what is ssdi ???

@ MLM247 - why do you say to have the surgery so urgently ???

like i said in my post, the doctor said that it is not urgent to have it done. i would just like to know your reason behind the urgency
    mommak2908

Comment by mommak2908 (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Mar. 16, 2011