1st grade field trip.... wont let me go ?

My little girl is in first grade and is going on her first big field trip - to the zoo !

From our town to the zoo is almost 2 hours away and we have gone before ( as a family) and there is always tons and tons of people to where you can hardly walk ....

I really feel uncomfortable about her going unless I can be a chaperone ... I have chaperoned the other field trips along with other parents and it always was nice ...

It doesnt make sense really, for the other smaller field trips ( usually to places in town) alot of parents were asked to go along. The kids were divided into small groups and the parent was responsible for that small group of kids ( usually the groups were about 5-7 kids) .. I think that was nice, having a small group because it is easier to handle them... that was also in small places ( a movie theatre , a pumpkin patch, etc) ...

BUT now they are going to the zoo along with another grade ... There is almost 100 kids and yet the only chaperones that are going are 2 teachers and 2 parents ( that are involved with the school) .... I think that is crazy , how is 4 people going to beable to keep track of that many kids... I called to let them know when I found out about it that I would love to be a chaperone and help out, and they said they already had enough people... I thought that was ok, but then I found out exactly how many were going....

i really dont feel comfortable about letting my 6 year old daughter go with that many kids and that little of supervision , especially since I know how crazy it is up there .... I think I might just let her stay home that day and we can do some other fun activity .... What would you do ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I feel for you. I went once to the zoo as a chaperone and it was zoo literally for the children. Kids running all over and I was done after that trip. I never ever went on another school trip after that.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Can you meet them there? Perhaps it it a busing issue. Can you and your DD meet them there NOT as art of the school field trip?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Maybe they don't have room on the bus? Tell them you are willingly to pay for admission and transportation. I'll be worried to especially 2 hours away. What size is the zoo? Is the children wearing color coordinator t shirts Ask the teacher meet up spot and how many children are in a group? How many adults watching each group? 1st grade children are very busy...the more adults the better the field trip will be
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 8:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I would either keep her home. Or drive seperate and be there.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Be in the principal's office when school opens tomorrow. Voice your concerns clearly and concisely. There might be something you do not know. Follow up. You are a parent. Do you have friends of the other students that might accompany you?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I wouldn't let my DD go w/o me either. Maybe you could express your concerns to the teacher or principal, tell them that you don't want your DD to miss out but feel it's a matter of safety. Maybe Offer to drive yourself if you can follow behind the bus.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:19 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I understand your reluctance about letting her go with so few chaperones. I would probably voice my concerns to all adults involved and do/say everything I could until I either felt more comfortable or was 'invited' to go along. Good luck and I hope your little girl has a great time.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:21 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I told them I would pay and drive seperatly and they said we wouldnt be considered part of the school going ( in so many words) .... They are not wearing matching clothing, they will just have little necklace things on ( made of yarn with their name and school name on it )

We have been there several times and I dont feel as if she is missing out on anything...

It is a huge place there is a themepark attached to it, so there are people for the zoo and the park all walking around together...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I find it hard to believe that there will only be 4 chaperones with 100 children, if that is truely the case I can see your concern. That being said there could be a number of other things going on-
    You stated that you have been on a number of field trips already- I usually try to take a variety of parents so if parent has already been on one or more field trips with us I will usually take another parent first.
    Schools usually limit the number of parents because there is not enough room on the bus.
    When parenets tag along with just their child the parents and children often don't think they need follow the regular procedures making it difficult for the person in charge to keep the class in under control and keep everyone safe.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• funny thing is, riding the bus with her freinds will most likely be the highlight of the trip (learned from experience), so i wouldn't want her to miss out on that. However, i too, would be VERY uncomfortable with the trip once there at a large place with only a couple teachers. I would specifically ask the principal why they would refuse more supervision for such a large number of students in a very public place, 2 hours from school? I would also ask why you are being discouraged from going? That raises a red flag to me. I realize some parents can be a nuisance, but who cares, it's your kid. Do other parents know this information? I can't believe your the only parent who feels this way? Me, i would NEVER let my child go somewhere so public with such little supervision (and that's a trip i would definately go with on). I'd rather be a nuisance than a statistic.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 8:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011