How do I get my 3.5 month old Shepherd to STOP jumping up on us?

She's 30 lbs at 3.5 months and is like a horse and is getting bigger by the hour. It is not only annoying but painful when she jumps on us because of her girth and her nails which we try to keep trim. She's now bigger than my youngest when she jumps up on her. One person told me to squeeze her paws but she's just so excitable, we can't calm her down to stop jumping. I know she's still a baby, but there's got to be something we can do. We are starting her in puppy classes next week and the trainer said to turn our back to her and ignore her but she just jumps up on our backs. Help!

marihand

Asked by marihand at 8:36 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in Pets

• Spray with sour apple.
    kneel down to her level and reward her with pets and a treat.
    Pull her down as soon as she jumps up.
    Take her to training.
    Read a training book.
    Google it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• best way turn ur back to her everytime she comes up to jump she will start trying to come around to get to ur front just keep turning ur back when she stops pet her and reward her if she goes to jump again turn around again thats what ive done with all mine and what i recomend to clients who come in the vet office. takes time but works well o dont per her til she sits tho or shell jump right back up
    Hbabygirl476

Answer by Hbabygirl476 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Put a leash and correction collar on her. If you have someone that's willing to walk in and out of a room fifty or so times, make her sit and when they enter the room, if she makes a move toward them, give a quick pop and release with a firm no and make her sit. Once she calms down, have the person come over and pet her. Repeat this until she doesn't react to their entry anymore. She will learn that calmness and good behavior are rewarded and jumping is not. Do not leave correction collars on when your dog is going in the kennel, in the yard, or can not be supervised. If the get caught on something they can panic and choke themselves. This is how I taught my dogs but I would ask your trainer as well when puppy classes start and they can see the behavior first hand.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:30 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I had the same Problem with my Border Collie/Lab Puppy! It was Not Fun at All at 6:30 in the morning when i let him out! LOL:) i turned my back to him & then he would try to snatch my Slippers on my feet- (he still does sometimes!) anyway, i also keep a treat in my hand- he finally has caught on, that he will get all the attention he wants & a treat if he doesn't Jump on me- he is 10 months old now & has gotten So Much Better- They just get So Excited...... i think mine has calmed down alot b/c i live on 3 acres & in the morning he Runs like a Race Horse around it about 20 times! LOL! & throughout the day, i go out & play ball with him- he always takes a Little Nap around 2 in the afternoon b/c he is Worn Out! The puppy classes should help you alot! Wishing you lots of luck:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:00 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I have a German Shepherd puppy who is 33lbs and she does the same thing. We just push her down and command down. I have also gotten to where when somebody comes in or I know she is about to jump I will give her the sit stay command. That seems to be working pretty well also.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Bring your knee up to block the dog when it jumps with a firm "NO!"
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2011