I'm sorry, but if your kid is 5 and isn't learning disabled and doesn't know this stuff, there is seriously something wrong with YOU!

I registered my kid to Kindergarten and they gave me the "He has to know" list because we didn't do preschool and apparently that makes me a bad mom...

Here's what she said he has to know before he can start school...
*how to count to 10
*he has to be potty trained
*he has to drink from a cup
*he has to be able to identify a circle, square & triangle
*he has to know his basic colors (red, blue, yellow, orange)

That was it! Seriously? My kids are 3 & 4 and even my 3yo knows all that and more. She was shocked to find out that my oldest (who I was registering) knew his ABCs and that he could count to 30 with no problem... I didn't dare tell her he's doing basic addition and subtraction or that he could spell basic words (3 letters) - she would have fallen out of her chair!

What is wrong with people today that this is what we expect from kids? That's not half of what kids in my day needed to know...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:37 PM on Mar. 15, 2011 in

• My 2 year old can do all that stuff and much more. It's pretty disappointing what our education system has come to.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 8:40 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Shocking huh? And there will surely complaining that their kids are little and shouldn't be held to such a high standard.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Could it be that the person just wanted you to feel that you had done a good job. Most beginning kindergarteners far exceed this. How does this school system rate on the national and state level? If she was truly surprised, there is something wrong.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• What state do you live in?
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 8:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My oldest two, who just turned 5, are getting ready to start a cyber charter school in the fall, and when I turned in their registration packet, I asked the woman what was going to be on the entry test so I could be prepared, and it was all things they started learning when they were 2! I was shocked that they didn't have to know more...I guess I did a good job at homeschooling them for preschool! lol.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• I'm in PA, and we are in a good school district. And no, she wasn't trying to tell me I did good... She told me my son needs to go to pre-K in the summer to make sure he is all caught up - "since I couldn't be bothered to put him in preschool." I think she was shocked by the idea that he's home with mom full time and still knows this stuff... Apparently you can only learn this stuff at preschool...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Wow, thats it? I was worried, my DD should start preschool this year, but I can't find a credited one that 1-I can afford and 2-works with my schedule. She goes to a nice home daycare and she works with her, and I do at home as well. Sounds like DD will be just fine, she can do all those things already. Here I've been worried that she knows her letters, just not the order they go in. This has been our issue with numbers as well.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Wow, that's unbelievable. My youngest grandson, 22 months has that list mastered and more.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 8:55 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• My 19 mth old can do all of those & more except the potty trained part. That is so weird, honestly i thought they would have to know more than that. SMH

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 8:57 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• wow I didnt get any of that when my son started kindergarden. my son is autistic and knew all that thats crazy
    Hbabygirl476

Answer by Hbabygirl476 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 15, 2011